Communication underwater

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

YCW

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Saw the DVD "After the Sunset" the other day (starring Pierce Brosnan and Salma Hayek). There is a part where Brosnan and Hayek went wreck diving and wearing these full face masks, and able to talk to each other underwater. Is it for real?

Everything on James Bond is real.

Well except some of the women have had, ummm, aaaah, enhancements.

YCW:
Saw the DVD "After the Sunset" the other day (starring Pierce Brosnan and Salma Hayek). There is a part where Brosnan and Hayek went wreck diving and wearing these full face masks, and able to talk to each other underwater. Is it for real?

Yes it is, but I would not recommend it.

I was diving in January in Palau and there was a couple that had this gear. It was somewhat complicated from a gear standpoint. But they had a huge problem. When they talked they ended up by using more of their air (?) which was unnoticed. So because they had no octopus or mask they ended up by cutting their dives early.

Bottom line, I wasn't very impressed. I for one like the peace and quiet of not talking.
I could actually hear them speak when I was close to them. I mean don't we all speak to our spouses enough above the water? Keep it simple and enjoy it

Dave

My hubbie and I like diving BECAUSE of the fact that we can't speak to each other! :D

But, yes this kind of equipment does exist, it's expensive and is not main stream though.

My wife and I have started using the ASL alphabet when diving and it works extremely well. It's nice to be able to name a fish, etc. on the go.

My hubbie and I do this as well, We even have a few phrases and words that we use to really clear things up. It has really helped out a lot.

I'm with Corigan.

My wife and I use the Sea-Signs also.

the K

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom