Coming to Monterey in January

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Wijbrandus

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
I'm attending a small family gathering in Monterey this January, the weekend of the 13th through the 15th. My wife and I are hoping to arrive a few days early and take advantage of the local diving, but we are totally cold ocean rookies.

Can anyone point me a good place to start? We are likely to come in early in the week, and would want to do say two days of two tanks. We are used to the Carribbean routine (but don't normally need a DM in the water with us). We've got around fifty dives each, and all of our own gear except the drysuits, which we would really like to rent there. We have done seven dives each in rental drysuits this month and our local water is cold, but drysuits are the main reason we want to keep it easy. New gear types mixed with new conditions mean we will be rookies all over again.

After googling a bit, I guess some of the rookie sites would be my best bet - the Breakwater comes to mind, I think the seals there would be cool to see. We'd love to do a boat dive, but I'm reading that the shore diving is really where the good stuff is there. Monastery beach is right out. :)

I'd love to hook up with some other ScubaBoard people during the week if you are available for a dive. Or perhaps you know of a good LDS that doesn't mind taking tourists for a few easy & fun dives.

By the way, we will be staying with my uncle in Seaside, if that makes a difference.

i would not suggest monastary without a good expierenced monastary diver, monastary can be VERY DANGEROUS, if you do it wrong, the entry and exit are the problem there, i may still be in town and may be up for some diving on the days you are in town, i have only done monastary twice and so i could not be a good one to take you there though.

Jim,

My comment about Monastery was sarcasm. I have no intentions of going there.

Monastery beach is right out. That means don't even suggest it. :wink:

For shore sites I would reccomend Breakwater,Mcabee or Lovers 1-3
If its a calm day dont rule out south monastery-Ive had days were it was an easy -walk-in walk -out.A beautiful dive and reef-just check the conditions.

For boat dives -I would recommend the Escapade but all the boats are good-never heard any negatives about any of them. Im just partial to Capt jim and his boat!

For a shop I would reccomend Aquarius on Del Monte-you can probably hire a guide to get you acclimated.Full rentals etc

Also check out Chuck Tribolets website-I beleive its triblet@.garlic.com.
Hes a member here and his site is a welath of information regarding diving here!

I would try to hook up for a dive,but am only available on the weekends.

Good luck!
Post a report and let us know how it went!

Drewpy:
Also check out Chuck Tribolets website-I beleive its triblet@.garlic.com.
Hes a member here and his site is a welath of information regarding diving here!

Well, that's a close approximation of my e-mail address, but close only counts in
horseshoes. The website is http://www.garlic.com/~triblet/ba_diving/

Do you have a dry suit cert? You are unlikely to be able to rent a dry suit with out
a dry sut cert.

Chuck Tribolet:
Well, that's a close approximation of my e-mail address, but close only counts in
horseshoes. The website is http://www.garlic.com/~triblet/ba_diving/

Do you have a dry suit cert? You are unlikely to be able to rent a dry suit with out
a dry sut cert.

Actually just completed the DS certification this weekend. I figured people would want to see a card before they handed one over. :p

Thanks for the corrected URL.

Back
Top Bottom