Coming to Monterey in January

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Robert,

As a simi-regular Monterey dive tourist, I'll post my two cents.

I could do a hundred dives at Lovers Cove, Pt. Lobos and Monastery (if you're careful and you hit it right) and never be bored. Mortuary - ah, I mean, Monastery is my favorite. I also enjoy breakwater for weekday night dives.

Also, do a boat trip on the Monterey Express - a good boat for a 50 dive diver new to Monterey diving.

Breakwater can be a fun dive, but it can be some of the lesser viz. If you get good luck in terms of the swell (check Chuck's links from his site) then I'd recommend going for something a little more open ocean exposed so you get clearer viz.

Lover's 3 is a really nice calm dive on the right day, and you don't ever get too deep. There's a good chance of swimming with harbor seals there. Reasonably easy entry with nothing but a few steep steps to contend with. Plus it's an out and back dive along a north/south line...easy nav among patches of reef and sand.

Butterfly House is fairly exposed, but on a calm day, it's a blast. Another good place to see seals, and a nice kelp forest. Make sure you turn around in time so you can get back toward beach and out from under the kelp with plenty of air. Surfacing in kelp forests is not fun :wink: This is a dive for a calm day because it's exposed.

Monastery looms very large and people talk about its dangers quite a bit, but I have only been there on calm days, and it really isn't a big deal on very calm days (in my limited experience under very good conditions, YMMV, I'm not recommending anything, etc, etc :wink:). North Monastery is probably the best dive site I have done in the area. Stay well within your own safety limits, and make your own decisions because it can definitely be really dangerous any day of the year. But if the swell says 3-4 feet, I'd go have a look so you at least know what folks are talking about. Beautiful stuff to see anywhere from 20 to 2000 feet :D This will probably be some of the best visibility on any given day.

Have a lot of fun and be safe! Remember to check out the small critters. The nudibranchs in Monterey are just awesome. :D

Gregg

Sounds like the Breakwater may be a waste of time then. Although we are coming in in midweek, and will be diving on Thursday & Friday, so it may be a good time to hit it.

It looks like we will be coming in on 10 January. If all goes well, we will pick up rental gear on the 11th, and be ready to dive on the 12th and 13th. I think that's all the time we'll have though. Since it is a family reunion, I guess I have to spend time with the family too. Hehe.

We are wanting to rent drysuits. We are "drysuit certified", for what that's worth. We were also talking about hiring a local DM to take us through some of the better places. Being unfamiliar with local conditions, we don't want to get in over our heads.

What are the sea conditions like in January? If they tend to be calm, some of the more advanced dives might be a good choice. Or maybe a boat dive.

Also, what's a good shop to deal with? Right now I'm looking at the Monterey Bay Dive Center and Manta Ray, but I am just now getting around to contacting them.

Daveman692 - I'll send you a PM about meeting up. Anyone else want to join in on the fun?

Rick - thanks for the recomendation. Looks like they aren't doing any weekday dives in January though. Maybe we can get enough people together to charter the boat one day? If there's any interest, I'll call them up and ask for the rates and see if we can get them on Friday the 13th. ((Should be a great day for a dive!))

Manta Ray went out of business about a month ago. ;-(

Aquarius Del Monte, Aquarius Breakwater, and MBDC are all good shops. Dunno which
rent drysuits though. BTW, the two Aquarius shops have different ownership and
management these days.

January conditions can be VERY good, or VERY bad. The lack of sunshine reduces the
green. But North Pacific storms can send some big swells. Seek locak advice. Check
the forecast before you rent -- we can get blown out for several days running.

Pt. Lobos would be a good bet. On a weekday you can USUALLY get in without a
reservation. Just be in line a little before they open at 9.

Chuck - Thanks for all the advice, and thanks for maintaining such a great website. I've been exploring it for info the last few days.

Does Pt. Lobos have enough to hold interest for two days? And is there any chance my wife might see seals or sea otters there? (Sorry, had to ask.) If there is, I'll just go ahead and make reservations there when I can next month.

MBDC claims they rent drysuits. We'll see when I get around to sending out first contact e-mails.

The weather and sea conditions are my biggest concerns. This is why I'm picking your brains. If this was a trip to Lauderdale or the Carib, my biggest question would be who stocks the nitrox. :)

Pt. Lobos is certainly worth a day of diving. Different stuff happens every time
you go. I did it every weekend day in August and Labor Day weekend.

MBDC and Aquarius del Monte have Nitrox. ADM banks 36, MBDC, I think, does partial
pressure blending.

Seals? or Sea Lions? The end of the breakwater is the best place for sea lions, if they
are around, and if the vis is decent. Pt. Lobos is good for Harbor Seals, thought the
best season is just ending (the teenagers are getting wiser).

You are very unlikely to see an otter UW. I've seen one in over a thousand Monterey
dives. They are really easy to see from the surface. Pt. Lobos is good, so is the
Monterey Harbor.

Which reminds me: be sure to go to the Aquarium. Going before you dive will give you
some familiarization with the local waters.

I'm actually very familiar with the Aquarium. I've been to Monterey several times to visit my uncle, and no trip is complete without visiting the Aquarium.

Too bad I missed the GW though.

Sounds like Pt. Lobos is my best bet. I'll start planning on it.

Are the conditions such that we'd need a local guide?

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom