Coming Soon – PADI® Certification Cards Transition to PADI eCards™

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

The WRSTC sets the standards which PADI, and it's other members, follow. There is not a mandatory number of days, it is set by how much diving can safely take place in a day.

Sounds pretty much like mandatory minimums to me but if you want to quibble that is fine. And, important to note that WRSTC does not set the standards for every single PADI course, they only have guidance posted for the major classes. PADI does have some latitude with their own course standards, especially for specialties.

In areas with limited or no reception, I would definitely recommend taking a screenshot of your PADI e-cards. Our recent experience in French Polynesia is that, even if you have "Downloaded" the PADI e-cards on the app, if you still have some cellular reception (but not enough to load anything at all), the app will display a continuous turning circle and not allow you to switch to Downloaded from All e-cards.

One quick way around this is to turn your wifi/cellular service off completely by switching to Airplane Mode, and the app will stop thinking/loading and allow you to display your Downloaded cards.

No, sortof. The PADI e-cards are one long scroll. That means, the top of the screen shows your name, pic and PADI #. You have to scroll down to see your instructors number and the shop, if any. Some phones will take a scrolling screenshot, but not all.
And any laptop or tablet with a wi-fi connection can do it. You need to download the PADI App:
PADI Mobile Apps | PADI

Once you've downloaded your e-cards you should be okay. But be aware - if you're out of internet range, you'll get a blank screen, because the e- cards page opens to "All" ecards. You need to select the "Downloaded" tab to see your cards when you're offline.

I just got my OWD upgrade (from SD) completed, and then discovered that PADI no longer issue physical cards (my SD is a physical card).

My only expectation is to keep things consistent and everything together, and I'm perfectly fine with the electronic thing as technology prevails in this day and age (despite some minor drawbacks), but I really fail to see why PADI ever wanted to charge for an e-Card when the real cost of merely hosting some minimal data is nowhere near the cost of plastic, postage and manpower (electronic is more automated)!

I don't get why they don't just go out and issue everyone with an e-Card free of charge for all prior certifications. Can't even find PADI financials anywhere to see how well they are performing, I wonder why... all this is leaving me with a bad taste already!

I don't get why they don't just go out and issue everyone with an e-Card free of charge for all prior certifications. Can't even find PADI financials anywhere to see how well they are performing, I wonder why... all this is leaving me with a bad taste already!

Padi is the largest certifying agency and marketing powerhouse. Sure they could offer the ecards for free, they could even offer printed cards for $5. But they aren't about to.

They are out for money and more and more money. Similarly with online classes, there is no legitimate reason they should cost more then printed books or $120-180... But they do.

Consider SSI if you are looking for digital cards, affordable online class material,etc.

Padi isn't going to change their price structure or attitude anytime soon. Even as instructors and dive shops are shutting down or closing due to covid. And virtually all of the certifying agencies are offering discounts and incentives for dive operators and trainers to transission. Padi's philosophy and attitude is, hey "we are the best and largest, pay us."

"we are the best and largest, pay us."

No, they just say: "We are the biggest," for they know they aren't the "best."

One thing I don’t get is the agencies say plastic is bad for the ocean, one way to promote this would be to stop plastic cards and offer the e-cards within the course fee. Just my thinking though. I know some people are stoked when they finally physically get their cards.

.............................snip..................Similarly with online classes, there is no legitimate reason they should cost more then printed books or $120-180... But they do.

Consider SSI if you are looking for digital cards, affordable online class material,etc.
.........................snip.....................

Have you ever had to go through the process of creating and publishing online training materials? The process of creating online content is not like creating a powerpoint presentation, its much more than that. The effort is substantial and the costs are significant. Its probably very similar to print publishing in cost because the proof process is very similar.

SDI do online cards. As a diver you log in to your TDI/SDI account, all completed and pending eLearnings are displayed, as are all certification cards. Been a very long time since I have done anything with SSI, but their printed material was as good as any in the era I did dive with them.

Have you ever had to go through the process of creating and publishing online training materials? The process of creating online content is not like creating a powerpoint presentation, its much more than that. The effort is substantial and the costs are significant. Its probably very similar to print publishing in cost because the proof process is very similar.

I have, and obviously it depends on how much they are paying their "actors" how many cuts they have had, editing,etc.

It would not be fair for me to compare online courses et al I have prepared and scuba diving courses. However, what would be fair to compare is say the cost SSI charges for online courses and a similar course from Padi.

$50 from SSI and Padi wants $180... I personally got my cert from Padi, and found it lackluster at best... I did study the free version SSI had and found it more informative.

But regardless a HUGE difference in cost associated with the two various courses.

I am sure this topic has been beaten to death in other threads. Everyone knows PADI stands for "put another dollar in."

Fact of the matter is Padi was bought out a few years ago by a few wealthy investors. And as per standard ROI metrics, they want to put the least money into Padi, while still getting the maximum possible (returns, fees, etc) out.

Anyway Divers Ready recently called Padi... To see what types of discounts they would provide, due to a lot of operators either having to close or have their incomes reduced tremendously. And if Padi's cringe worthy response and inability to even want to talk to their customers isn't evidence enough... well

I have, and obviously it depends on how much they are paying their "actors" how many cuts they have had, editing,etc.

It would not be fair for me to compare online courses et al I have prepared and scuba diving courses. However, what would be fair to compare is say the cost SSI charges for online courses and a similar course from Padi.

$50 from SSI and Padi wants $180... I personally got my cert from Padi, and found it lackluster at best... I did study the free version SSI had and found it more informative.

But regardless a HUGE difference in cost associated with the two various courses.

I am sure this topic has been beaten to death in other threads. Everyone knows PADI stands for "put another dollar in."

Fact of the matter is Padi was bought out a few years ago by a few wealthy investors. And as per standard ROI metrics, they want to put the least money into Padi, while still getting the maximum possible (returns, fees, etc) out.

Anyway Divers Ready recently called Padi... To see what types of discounts they would provide, due to a lot of operators either having to close or have their incomes reduced tremendously. And if Padi's cringe worthy response and inability to even want to talk to their customers isn't evidence enough... well

You sound like a con man. Phrases like "Everybody knows..." and "Fact of the matter is ..."
Maybe you should try selling what is positive about your product rather than running down someone else's product.
And shouting at me in a video doesn't get my attention, it gets my "off" finger.
Hack job.

Back
Top Bottom