Coming in November! (w/ Kauai question)

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

kjr39

Registered
Reaction score
I'll be coming to Hawaii in mid-late November and am planning on getting wet when I'm there.

So far I have the following dives planned:

- Mantas with Big Island Divers (reserved)
- Molokini with Ed Robinson (reserved)
- Lana'i with Extended Horizons (reserved)

I would like to plan on one or two dives on Kauai. Can anyone recommend an operator and location that would be good for the last week in November?

Thanks! :D

I've had good experiences with Bubbles Below on Kauai. There are two other ops that people like: Fathom Five and Seasport Divers. Those two have shops in Koloa/Poipu, while Bubbles Below doesn't have a shop as far as I could tell and sails out of Hanapepe Harbor, about 20 minutes drive from Poipu area.

There is some good shore diving in Poipu (Koloa Landing) and all the charter boats hit sites along the south/west shore. Last week of November could be dicey for north shore diving since that's winter surf season.

Consider booking your Lanai trip with Extended Horizons instead of Ed Robinson's. The boat ride from Kihei is rather long and somewhat rough water, especially for that size of boat. Leaving from / returning to Lahaina makes the ride about 1/2 to 1/3rd the duration.

Of all the ways of getting to Lanai, the departure from Kihei with ERDA is probably the worst option.

Personally, I'd recommend someone else for Molokini as well, but that's a personal preference thing, not a quantitative judgement I can pass.

/google maps Maui.

Ahh, I see what you mean about the boat ride from Kihei... Thanks!

Oh, and if anyone can recommend a helicopter tour on Kauai, that'd be swell.

I've sent several divers from the board to Fathom Five divers and also gotten good feedback from them. They are the last of the 6 passenger boats on the island. I have been with all 3 operators at one time or another and think they all do a good job. I have just always felt kinda like family at Fathom and enjoy their style. If you look into their operation and end up with them consider diving with Anthony. He has a real knack for finding great Hawaiian critters. You can tell he really loves to dive. Ken and Debbie do great night dives as well. My favorite dives have been Zacks pocket, Turtle Bluffs and the leaf scorpion fish dive at Harbor ledge.

Hope this helps
RP

My lovely bride and I dove Kauai last November. Bubbles Below was in complete disarray at the time and we switched to SeaSport Divers – Great operation. The best diving in November will be near Poipu, Sheraton Caverns is a must do. Naiihu island is also great dive but only BB goes there and is very weather dependant.

My kids (both adults and their spouses) wanted to take a helicopter but my son-in-law is a big guy so they went with a air plane tour – they loved it!

My kids have also decided I am to take them all back, plus my niece, her husband and their two kids this July. We plan on diving with SeaSport divers again. I may give BB one more try, I’ve read hear they are back on-track.

BTW, Big Island Divers is a terrific operation - say hello for me!

Dave, don't forget your newly adopted relative kjr. You should take him too. :D

I sent info into Fathom Five to do their 3 tank dive and waiting to hear back. I also signed up for this helicopter tour...

So, all this and a couple of days of snorkeling and I think I'm all set.

I'll be sure to post up some pics and reviews after the trip!

Thanks!!!

I can't wait to dive Sheraton Caverns again and will try to book a trip to Naiihu when we return in July. The dives off Brennekke's beach/Poipu are awesome. The shore dive from Koloa Landing is pretty good, too.
We found November in Kauai wonderful.
Aloha

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom