Comfort items for liveaboard - or what you can't live without..

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

SoSiouxme

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Hey all,

I'm going on my first "real" liveaboard in Feb - a six night liveaboard in Thailand and I have a packing list from the boat...so I know to pack minimally but what kinds of things do y'all pack that you find essential, but it wouldn't necessarily be on the packing list.

For example, I know I'll be bringing my iPod and maybe a deck of cards, but what else would be handy? What kind of comfort items would make the trip a little nicer, a little more comfortable, but would not take up much space?

Bring 'em on. I want to be prepared!

--Sioux

a nice comfy blanket of your own. although they will have one, the smells from the blanket would be a source of psychological comfort. and of course a book!

Our last live aboard was Hawaii. Diving wet. I never dive wet... so I have princess feet.

Bring spandex or Neoprene Sox. I did every possible dive (24 or 26, I think) and by the end of the trip, my feet were hamburger - completely covered with duct tape.

59215011.DSC02244.jpg

If you're planning on relaxing, bring a book. If you're planning on diving, bring sox.

Also - if you're shooting, it means you'll be charging. Bring a Power Squid. There is never enough AC on these boats, and people hog it.

---
Ken

The daily routine on most liveaboards is:

Sleep, Dive, Eat, Dive, Eat, Sleep, Dive, Eat, Sleep, Sleep, Dive, Sleep, Eat and Sleep

Did I miss anything out?

I bring a good book that I've been meaning to read and a few choice bottles of Australian red wine to pull out at dinner after a day or two out.

Ken - I feel your pain, and would also suggest some form of foot protection: after a week of diving the cuts on the feet can make you want to skip a dive. Why can't a company make a pair of boots that doesn't slice your feet up after a few days?

Don't pack a lot - you'll be lounging around in a pair of shorts and shirt for most of the time.

Who are you going with - I assume your doing similans and richaleu? The food on most thai liveaboards is outstanding.

Cheers,
Rohan.

I always bring my own pillow and blanket..They made fun of me in Thailand, but I didn't care. I like to be comfortable. The pillow also comes in handy on long flights...wedge it by the window seat and sleep away!!

We take our mini-DVD player and some movies so we can watch movies in our cabin. Nice way to relax before drifting off to sleep.

What you can't live without?

Literally? Water. Lots of it, too! Avoid DCS.

Make it easy to get at and tasty as well.

There may well be bottled water on board or purified water from the tap. We like to mix it with Wyler's powdered drink mix (or Crystal Light).

Best way to stay hydrated? One of those big sippy-cup mugs.

That and a small travel alarm clock.

DiveMaven:
We take our mini-DVD player and some movies so we can watch movies in our cabin. Nice way to relax before drifting off to sleep.
===================================

That was going to be my vote. In addition to being able to watch movies in your cabin onboard, you can bring a couple DVD's to view during the flights to/from the dive destination.

'Slogger

Earplugs would be my suggestion.....nothing worse then not being able to sleep because someone else is snoring away

Bring at least 3 to 5 swim suits, that way they can be dry and ready to wear. I found that wearing just one swim suit on a liveaboard a day will give you a rash. Last time on the Star Dancer I changed out after the dives as fast as possible and wore a dry one for the next couple of hours until dive time. Dive time was 630am-930am-1pm-330pm and 630pm.....oohh what bliss!

Back
Top Bottom