Votes: 6 27.3%
  • 2 seperate lines

Votes: 15 68.2%
  • Indifferent

Votes: 1 4.5%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Awesome! Thanks for the all the great info and the website link :) I'll surely be checking that out tonight and probably buying that stuff soon

No problem, but do yourself a favor. Set up your tank, bc, regulator, etc and try to get some measurements before you order anything. You may not need a new corrugated hose. The inflator hose will have to match the length of the corrugated hose you decide on plus enough to reach the lp port on your regulator. Therefore, it is best to use a regulator hose and a screw on quick disconnect so you can more closely match up the length you need.

If you're interested in a used AIR 2 and not in a hurry for it, PM me and I'll see if I can put something together for you. But I'll tell you up front, I'm slow, and not a certified tech-just a hobbyist so the standard disclaimer with all the warnings of death and drowning apply if you don't get it checked out by a qualified service technician. In fact, better contact DA Aquamaster to see if he has one set up. He is a certified tech, better, faster, and most likely cheaper than me.

Couv

Striker,

I meant use a long hose primary flexible or regular. Do a search of "long hose primary". But use a flexible hose on the octo/inflator.

Incidentally, with the correct corrugated hose, I'm sure an AIR 2 will work on your BC. If you currently have a 3/4 inch hose, you can do as I did and stretch it after a very hot bath, or use an adapter, or purchase a special hose that's 3/4 inch on one end and 1 inch on the other-Northeast Scuba Supply has them.

Backplate and Wings - Wings/BC Parts - Corrugated Hoses - Elbows - Quick Dumps - 12'' Corrugated Adapter Hose - Northeast Scuba Supply

Couv

12" is too short for most people.....I have trouble with any length other than 16" with my student setups.

---------- Post added April 11th, 2012 at 06:50 AM ----------

I like and use one of these, but if you work UW at all, belly down in the mud, they sure take a beating.

But of course the Zeagle one, (like the SS1) just screws off (instead of being tied to the BCD), so it gets washed better.

I love my SS1s for that. I don't tie one to a bladder, and if people want a regular inflator, I just screw in a Zeagle inflator.

I have been using an AIR II since I was certified back in 91 and I wouldn't have it any other way. I do like having one less hose but the whole "more streamlined" thing is highly overrated. I'm pretty sure that the vast majority of divers in the world wouldn't be able to tell the difference when diving between using an AIR II type device and a std. octo. Most diving is swimming around a reef or wreck or whatever and taking your time and seeing what's there. It's not like Lance Armstrong being on a bike where every bit of reduced drag may make a difference.

But I enjoy the octo/inflator combo and have never seen a real downside to having one.

I spoke with my thesis advisor and got his opinion on them as well (he's done like 3-4k dives by now) and his feedback is pretty much similar to others here. They are nice, but they can tend to be bulky and drag along the bottom or get buried in the sand while you're working and get messed up... not something you want to do with an expensive piece of hardware.

I'll likely be doing a lot of bottom dive sitting and observing for my thesis project and other research i'm involved in which means i'll probably be laying right on the darn thing... I think in the future I might go for one for personal Rec purposes.. but I suspect for my research diving i'll stick with an std. octo at this point.

Now... to figure out how to get my inflator fixed before next friday :p hahaha. Figured it'd be something you could just go in and buy off a shelf... but NOOOOOOooooo

You should be able to buy one from your local dive shop, but some will give you grief and want to charge you for installing it. You can put it to them this way. "I'll buy it, but you'll have to install it for free." If no dice, go back to NESS and buy one from them. Alternatively, buy the rebuild kit from NESS and fix it yourself.

Couv

Edit: By the way, what type of BC and inflator do you have now? What's the inside diameter of the corrugated hose? I have a few new and used inflators if you are interested. I'm sure if you put a Want to Buy add in the FOR SALE section of BC, wings etc, someone in your area will be happy to sell you one.

I spoke with my thesis advisor and got his opinion on them as well (he's done like 3-4k dives by now) and his feedback is pretty much similar to others here. They are nice, but they can tend to be bulky and drag along the bottom or get buried in the sand while you're working and get messed up... not something you want to do with an expensive piece of hardware.

I'll likely be doing a lot of bottom dive sitting and observing for my thesis project and other research i'm involved in which means i'll probably be laying right on the darn thing... I think in the future I might go for one for personal Rec purposes.. but I suspect for my research diving i'll stick with an std. octo at this point.

Now... to figure out how to get my inflator fixed before next friday :p hahaha. Figured it'd be something you could just go in and buy off a shelf... but NOOOOOOooooo

Not to drag out the argument, but "bulky, drag all the bottom"? Those are problems with octopus's not with Air 2s. Inflator and Air2 hang at about the same level,and should both be put in place but a loop of something, if that is a concern.

A bungied neclace reg is far more hassle, and an octopus is usually an an used piece of gear that never gets used, and thus is useless when the time it is needed suddenly occurs.

I am all for long hoses, and donating the primary for the second reason.

Also if you are doing research diving, there will may be times when you want to separate yourself from the gear. A bungied necklace makes that a hassle. Use the long hose and you can easily get distance from the gear.

:confused: An Air2 thread without :flame:
I never believed it would be possible.

:D

How is removing a bungee necklace a hassle? Same tug as an octo and it's loose. And air twos are much longer than any inflator I have used or use now.

Sent from my DROID X2 using Tapatalk 2

Back
Top Bottom