Votes: 6 27.3%
  • 2 seperate lines

Votes: 15 68.2%
  • Indifferent

Votes: 1 4.5%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

-=Striker=-

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
Hey everyone,

Long time reader and I've had some great feedback from member so I thought I'd ask everyones opionion.

I'm a Masters student working on my thesis working with marine fish ecology. My advisors research and my own will be keeping me diving quite extensively this upcoming summer and fall. I just got back from a collection trip last yesterday and noticed during my dives my BC inflator was leaking (Aqualung Pro QD BCD). It's a pretty crap design really... rubber nipple that covers inflator button also acts as the seal, it cracked along the stress point and I have a small trickle of air leaking now.

I want to replace it and want to know everyone opinion on combo Inflator/Octos. I really dislike my current cressi octo (it freeflows way too much), I always have issues keeping it tucked nicely somewhere and it looks like it might have a bit of corrosion on it as well. So i'm considering dumping my current octo and getting a combo setup, specifically ScubaPro Air2.

I've heard some people really like having a second octo for emergencies, others love trimming down excess hoses (I lean toward the later lately). Are there any SERIOUS downsides to have a combo setup?

:swordfight:With that question/survey I am sure that you will get a lot of answers. I currently use and Atomic SS1 octo/inflator. I like the set-up and the practicality. Some of the divers here on SB are staunch supporters of a standard octo rig (while many will tell you that an octo must be bungied to your neck on a 24" hose).

Mostly, I like ridding myself of the hose. When using an octo-inflator, if you need to share air the octo becomes your primary and the primary goes to the OOA diver.

This happens to be a very touchy subject on Scubaboard.

There are those who think the Air2 is the dumbest idea in scuba, and then there are those who think it's the greatest thing since sliced bread.

I like having Inflator/Octo combo, and I chose the SS1 from atomic as well, it's the only truly "Universal" fit it comes with 3 hose adapter to fit just about all BC/Wings on the market, the other benefit is that it can be unscrewed from the BC and stored with your regulator, as it's not permanently attached to the BC. this way I can share my SS1 with both my Cressi BC and my Harness & Wing without tools.

Well it seems responses/votes thus far are about what i expected haha, really is a 50-50 spread pretty much and more of a preference thing than anything else. I'll have to do some research but I think I'm going to try the combo setup... I'm a fan of streamlining and the first stage of my setup has a very odd port layout... getting rid of a hose would sure help with things :p

Thank you for the input everybody!

I like the octo/inflator combos. I have the Zeagle Octo-Z that screws onto the corrugated hose and lets you hook up a hose to your BC to flush it. It is a decent unit. If you want less gear hanging off of you and dont mind tilting your head to the side to breathe off of the combo then why not? It is not like you are going to breathe off of the thing on every dive anyway. Just practice with it as it is a little different.

:swordfight:With that question/survey I am sure that you will get a lot of answers. I currently use and Atomic SS1 octo/inflator. I like the set-up and the practicality. Some of the divers here on SB are staunch supporters of a standard octo rig (while many will tell you that an octo must be bungied to your neck on a 24" hose).

Mostly, I like ridding myself of the hose. When using an octo-inflator, if you need to share air the octo becomes your primary and the primary goes to the OOA diver.
I use the same setup [SS1 Titanium on a Seaquest Pro Unlimited ]when single tank casual diving..Tried a few of the other brand octo/inflators but had one problem or another w/them....When diving other than casual I use a separate octo......

I switched to the Air2 last year (my BC and Regulators are Scubapro). I had used two regulators (primary and octo) up until then. I like the convenience of having one less hose. The Air2 does not give you the same head movement as a secondary does, but it it not difficult to use. When you are filling your lift bag or surface marker, you would need to switch to your secondary air source and use the primary, switching back when you are finished. It's really no big deal, just personal preference.

I guess I will be the first to say I dont like the octo inflators. I had one a few years ago and used it about 50 times before I sold it. Now I keep my rec rig the same as my tec rig, short home bungeed reg and a long hose reg. In my opinion this is the best setup for a wide range of situations.

the only thing i don't like about integrated octo/inflators is that you have to have a longer bc inflator hose while i prefer inflator hose to be short (16" at the longest)

I started with the air 2 and now have an octo. I do lprefer the air2 but I am currently expanding my equipment which would mean multiple air 2s. When I get all my stuff worked out it is likely that I will move back to that system.

Back
Top Bottom