Comal this Sunday ?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

austinspace

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
I think I'll go explore the river this Sunday. Wanna come ?

I last went on Memorial Day and the town was packed. Found parking in the lot across from Wursthalle. The swamper's I met up with were hardier than I as they hiked with their gear over to Hinman island (no vehicle access on weekends, due to the crowds). I just entered the river right there. Stayed in one area, holding onto rocks here and there to watch the critters (saw a big really catfish snoozing on a rock). Had the place to myself. Could do something similar but drift downstream to some point around the bend, on the other side of Wursthalle, or past to the railroad bridge if there's a way to get out there. Or better yet, drift all the way downstream, provided we have a way to get back to the starting point. So many possibilities!

If you're interested, PM me and I'll send phone number so we can make a plan.

Would love to go with you John but I've got a conference starting Sunday. Will have to catch up with you next time. I definitely want to dive the Comal.

I did some wandering of the area via google maps, which is pretty interesting -- the link below puts you at the spot where I went into the river a few weeks ago. At that time I just hung around that spot area -- its quite deep just below those falls, where the big fish was (I've since learned it was a plecostomus!). It seems to me that drifting from here all the way to Hinman Island park or farther would be do-able. This is what I'd like to scope out and ask around about there. Ideally we'd park one car somewhere downstream, to avoid having to hike back to the parking lot.

from: 29.706033,-98.131498 to: Hinman Island Dr - Google Maps

This is just a bit downriver, at the Landa Park Dr. bridge (move N on the compass to get a view downstream, on the other side of the bridge):

from: 29.706166,-98.131495 to: Hinman Island Dr - Google Maps

Anyhow, I think it will be a fun day, esp if we can keep underwater and out of the sun !

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom