Comal River

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Hey there swampers, I haven't been here for a while but come back to find this thread.

I love the Comal, I dive it all winter long. Its a great dive. My LDS does a night dive there every Thurs. weather permitting. The river is spring fed and water temp is constant all winter long. There are things there that you wouldn't believe because of it. All kinds of marine life. The typical freshwater stuff plus people dump there aquarium fish there and they manage to survive if they don't get eaten. The most amazing things that I have seen so far were 3 plecostamus that were roughly 18" long each. There are 2 different dives that we do. We call them the upper and lower Comal and its hard to believe that they are the same river because of the difference in wildlife. Anyway, I'd be up for meeting some swampers there anytime as long as I can get away from work. I'll make sure I keep checking back.

I for one would be keen on knowing where the "lower" Comal starts, and what the specific differences in wildlife are. I always get out at the park in front of the tube chute.

Above the chutes is what we call the upper Comal and we usually put in at the RV park and get out at the same place you do. The lower is below the chutes and ends just before it dumps into the Guadalupe river. I'm not good with names and stuff but you will see different species in the lower than the upper because of the Guadalupe river. Its colder there because its not spring fed like the Comal so you will see some different species in the lower Comal that are not found above the chutes.

Heavy D:
Anyway, I'd be up for meeting some swampers there anytime as long as I can get away from work. I'll make sure I keep checking back.

Would you be interested in doing one next weekend, if weather permits?

mkuhfahl:
Would you be interested in doing one next weekend, if weather permits?

I may be available for something Saturday, but I definitely have to work Sunday. I'll know more later this week and will get back with you.

Check your pm box

Heavy D:
I'm not good with names and stuff but you will see different species in the lower than the upper because of the Guadalupe river. Its colder there because its not spring fed like the Comal so you will see some different species in the lower Comal that are not found above the chutes.

Oh COME ON!! Give me something! I can understand having warmth-loving biota confined in the upper river, but can't for the life of me think of anything confined to the lower. Okay... maybe gar.

AAAA!!! You're killing me!!

ScubaTexan:
I can't go the first weekend in May. Previous commitments.

I'm free the weekends of April 16-18, May 14-16 and May 21-23.

OK, it turns out I do have to work the weekend of May 14-16, so it's going to have to be either April 16-18 or May 21-23 for me. This is why I don't like making plans that far in advance.

My husband and I are going to the Comal this weekend, 3/19-3/21. Join us if you want to. We will be going to a park where you can walk up about 300-400 ft (?) to a set of stairs and step in and drift down to a dammed area that has some rather large bass & perch & cichlids. When we went for my checkout dives, I thought we were going to Landa park, but I'm not sure if that's where we ended up. This is the only place that we know about- if anyone else knows other places to go, please share info! Anyway, we're going to be there Saturday if anyone wants to join. Hemlon, are you out there? I sent you a pm, but don't know if you got it.
Foo

Hi Parrothead, thanks for the heads up on the get-together that's planned already for this weekend. Yall have a great time, and of course I don't mean to divert anyone from the Swampers meet in Houston. Wish we could be two places at once, but this is my spring break (I'm a teacher) and the best chance we have to actually go dive this month, so this weekend it is! If you're looking for us, we drive a white Monte Carlo and I confess to owning a black and pink wetsuit (yes, deal with it!), my husbands is blue & black. My puter goes in the shop this afternoon, so I'm at my daughter's mercy as to internet time until it's fixed (or dead)- but pm me if you want to know how to reach us.
Foo

Back
Top Bottom