Color Correcting Masks.....

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Chaseh

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
I've heard these were awesome so I wanna figure out what's the ideal.

Although there may be others out there, the SeaVision tinted masks seem to be the color correcting masks that are commonly available.

Who's used them, and what do you think?

There's usually a yellowish tint and a magenta tint. Someone posted that the magenta was only useful down to about 40ft.

I generally give in caribbean waters with good vis, but often surpass that depth.

What's the benefits of the yellow vs. the magenta?

BTW, I have a 15 year old TUSA mask that I love and will keep on standby, especially for night dives. It's treated me really well all these years, but I wanna try this color correction thing.

Thanks in advance for your help.

I tried one a friend had in Bonaire. At first I was impressed but that only lasted a few minutes, after that my vision adjusted to the tint and everything looked about normal, maybe a little better. The really weird part came when I took it off, everything had a green tint until my vision readjusted again. Several others on the trip had the same reaction to the mask. The mask themselves are good quality but none of us wanted to buy one. I am still diving my Tusa.

Thanks, what color was it though? And do you recall the brand?

I own a red SeaVision with the -2.0 gauge readers. I love the readers so much that I put up with the tint, even on night dives. I'm an instructor, and I must have 20 masks of all types sitting around the garage - the SeaVision is the one I use.
Don't bother with the yellow or red tinted masks - any filtration reduces the amount of light that's transmitted thorugh the lens. For seeing close up though, the gauge readers are the greatest invention in diving since the single hose regulator if you have presbyopia.

I'm not sure what you mean, that is, I don't know what gauge readers are. Please explain. Also, are you saying that you just put up with the tint and that it shouldn't be used at all?

They work by increasing contrast.

That said, anything that is hiding in the shaddows will be well hidden.

Not bad for a casual panoramic viewing but bupkiss for critter observation.

Best bet? Clear lenses and frequent night dives with lights- as a matter of fact- always dive with a small light for peeking under shadows and stuff!

Small lenses of various types me be temporarily mounted inside any mask- much like thos inexpensive "reader glasses" available at the drug store. They can help you read guages and look at minute stuff.

Better than that? Carry a small hand magnifying glass... excellent for observation.

I have the SeaVision Ultra. It's a great fitting, soft skirt, low volume mask. The yellow tint provides contrast. I notice a difference from my other masks in low vis situations.

Chaseh:
Thanks, what color was it though? And do you recall the brand?

It was a Seavision mask with the magenta lens.
I have not used the yellow lens but if they work anything like yellow shooting glasses, the yellow does help a lot with contrast in low light. I will stick to the clear lenses.

Chaseh:
Someone posted that the magenta was only useful down to about 40ft.

They're only useful below 30 ft. (assuming its sunny), but not if you're not using lights.

I have used my Seavision w/ color correcting down to 80-90' on walls in Belize/Roatan without problems and like the way it looks. I have taken it 105' or so in a dark lake and even with lights it was really hard to see well. I also have a Seavision with yellow lenses and I take this deep into lakes with no issues. When you put the yellow one on, you really see how much the light gets amplified. My best bet would be to try one out and see for yourself if you like one or not. I like my color correcting one for nice easy reef dives in bluewater, and I like using the yellow/low viz tinted mask for lake diving with light is scarce at best.

Matt

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom