Color Correcting Masks.....

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Corigan:
I have used my Seavision w/ color correcting down to 80-90' on walls in Belize/Roatan without problems and like the way it looks. I have taken it 105' or so in a dark lake and even with lights it was really hard to see well. I also have a Seavision with yellow lenses and I take this deep into lakes with no issues. When you put the yellow one on, you really see how much the light gets amplified. My best bet would be to try one out and see for yourself if you like one or not. I like my color correcting one for nice easy reef dives in bluewater, and I like using the yellow/low viz tinted mask for lake diving with light is scarce at best.

Matt

Thanks, that's an informative response. Secures my conclusion that what I really want is both, plus of course keeping my trusty clear mask for night and various other situations.

Chaseh:
I'm not sure what you mean, that is, I don't know what gauge readers are. Please explain.
The gauge readers are mildly strong little ground-in reading lenses for geezers like me who can't see close anymore. They're not the cheap stick-in accessory lenses - they're part of the mask.
If you need glasses to read a book topside, they are a Godsend underwater.
Chaseh:
Also, are you saying that you just put up with the tint and that it shouldn't be used at all?
I put up with the red tint since I got the mask for dirt cheap at DEMA and I haven't been back to another trade show to get some clear SeaVision masks. Given the choice between the tint and a non-tinted mask, I would opt for the clear mask every time. The retail price for these masks with the readers is pretty steep.
I can use the red mask underwater at night since I dive with superbright lights - the red lenses probably help a little on close stuff since the light is so blindingly white.
I have used yellow-tinted glasses topside for competitive shooting, but they didn't help that much. Underwater, it's another layer of filtration removing light from reaching your eyes, and underwater, I like all the light I can get.

I have the yellow tinted mask and absolutely love it for low-viz diving in lakes, rivers, and quarries. It definitely does increase the contrast and brighten everything up a bit.

In clear water with good viz, especially if there are colorful things to view, I much prefer clear lens.

The rose tinted glass is intended to put back some of the red tones you lose with depth (in clear water on a sunny day). You can always just take a light with you and immediately put those colors back!!

theskull

I've tried the "color-correcting" seavision masks (yellow and reddish). I found that using a good light (high-watt halogen or even better my current HID) with a clear-lensed mask revealed way more color than the tinted masks.

But then my diving is limited to colder, mostly non-photosynthestic life-infested northern waters.....

I'm converting to HID tomorrow, so I'll see if the extra light makes a difference with my yellow lense SV. Right now, I notice a difference with std or halogen lighting.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom