Color correcting lenses

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Rwhiting

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
Does anyone havwe opinions about color correcting lenses? Do they really work?
Thanks,
Rich

I borrowed someone's "Sea Vision" mask for a dive in Key Largo once. (they have pink lenses to filter out the blues, so the reef colors are supposedly less washed-out and blue).
Didn't really do much for me. *shrug*
I decided not to get one for myself.

A pink lens on a video camera makes, IMO, an enormous difference, though.

Rwhiting once bubbled...
Does anyone havwe opinions about color correcting lenses? Do they really work?
Thanks,
Rich

I use a Sea Vision mask but without the color correction. I love the shape/design of the mask and it was the only thing I could find at the LDS with a black skirt.

The problem with color correcting lenses as I see it is that they work by filtering light out. You're not seeing more reds you're seeing less blues. If you spend all your time close to/looking at the reef, this may not be an issue for you. If, however, you spend time scanning the edge of the visiblity around you looking for that hammer head, this might make the difference between seeing it or not.

Of course if you spend much time diving the low vis muck we get around here, you probably want to avoid anything that filters light.

James

The first Seavision mask I purchased about 5 years ago had colour correcting lenses. In time I decided that the "benefit" of the tinted lenses was outweighed by the fact that they DECREASED the amount of light to the eye. Ergo, night dives, even with a good bright light, were noticeably darker.

So, when it came time to put a new prescription in my mask, I went for the clear lenses.

WFM! (Works For Me)

~SubMariner~

Yes, I can't imagine colour-correcting lenses being a good thing. It will simply make things darker, while fighting a losing battle with the diffraction in the water that saps colour.

Best way I know to "correct" colour - point a huge, kick-ass light at whatever you're looking at... :D

C.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom