Collapsable Mesh Bag

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

furby076

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
Hey All,

I need a good sized collapsable mesh bag. Something that when closed up is very small (it will go into my dive caddy). The purpose for this bag will be to hold equipment when I go onto the boat - so it needs to hold:
BC
Fins
Mask
Reg
Weights (which will be in the BC)
Save A Dive Kit
Gloves
Hood
Booties
Full wet suit
Camera gear
Space for a towel?

Any recommendations for something that is sturdy, will hold all that I want, and then collapse into something very small so I can pack it away?

Thanks

Furball

I'm a bit confused because a mesh bag is not solid. It's mesh so it's fabric and usually, it folds quite small and fits easily into a dive trolley or suitcase. The soft mesh bag - in my experience - has been the most common (and effective) way people carry their equipment onto boats. Most good dive shops and internet order outlets carry well-known makes of mesh bags.

If you meant you wanted something a bit more solid for your equipment going onto the boat, there are dive bags made of canvas or cordura material. Alternatively, you can take a sports bag similar to a hockey bag (has lots of room and you can use it as a second carry-on bag.

My apologies for the confusion. I am looking for the most compact bag (when collapsed) which will carry the dive equipment I plan to take onto the boat. I need it compact so I don't have to worry about it fitting into my divecaddy - which is not the most boat friendly (though is doable)

I purchased a mesh zippered bag at Academy Sports. I think I paid $12.00. I use it for the same purpose you plan to use it. It holds all my gear for the boat dives and folds up quite small. Something like that doesn't have to be purchased at a LDS.

Check out this bag:
NRS Purest Mesh Duffel Bag
I'm an occassional search/recovery diver and I keep all my gear in this bag so that I can grab it quickly and go. It holds everything very well. I keep my weights in a weight bag as we need 7mm suites and all of the weight that goes along with that.
I'm bringing the smaller version to Roatan here shortly to cart my regs and computer, top, etc. to the boat.
NRS sells great gear and always stands behind everything they sell. If you have any issues with the quality of bag they will take care of you. Since you are from Vancouver you may be familiar with them already.

i find that a lot of my customers prefer a Backpack style mesh bag. Stahlsac has 2 nice choices, plus if you ever have a problem with it, send it to them and they fix it for free. These 2 should lay pretty flat and allow you to close your Dive Caddy.

Panama Mesh Bag:
Panama Mesh Backpack *Buy Stahlsac at DIVESEEKERS.COM 888-SCUBA-47

Bonaire Mesh Bag (Incl. Dry Bag):
Bonaire Mesh Backpack *Buy Stahlsac at DIVESEEKERS.COM 888-SCUBA-47

STAHL-WD16-2T.jpg

Has anyone tried the bags with the thicker coated mesh?
I was looking at these, but I doubt they will pack up as small (3.2lbs) as the Stahlsac bags.
XS Scuba Deluxe Mesh Backpack BG320

The XS Scuba Deluxe Backpack is real nice and very well made but for almost the same price I'll take the StahlSac Bonaire Backpack. A hair lighter, taller, wider opening & the Dry Bag is also bigger, but most importantly, Color Options (LOL).

Overall, you're splitting hairs and will not be making a mistake either way you go.

Back
Top Bottom