Cold water wetsuits (semi drysuits)

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I dive an element (7mm pinnacle, merino lined) down to the low/mid 40s. It gets cold, but two dives are entirely doable. I have a buddy that dives the 8mm/6mm (arctic? polar? I can't remember) and he says the same. If you get some hot water between dives to pour through it helps. However, I would have purchased a used drysuit if I had not received the substantial discount I did. As is, I'm considering a drysuit anyways.

If you do go down the pinnacle road (they are extremely nice suits) you can always get the jacket from a farmer john setup and layer it over the top suit. I bought a shorty with the intention of layering it, but it just isn't really designed for it. Besides, by that point you've got a heck of a lot of neoprine (1.4cm at the core, 7mm in the arms) and your price is approaching that of a drysuit.

You might also see if any local divers are willing to part with their old drysuits or wetsuits for less. Sometimes if you befriend some divers you'll get the best deals and you'll inevitably have the best time diving regardless.

Cheers and dive safe!

I have SolAfx Aqualung semi-dry wetsuit with attached hood. I love it for water between 50F-68F and usually don't get cold, please note that deeper you go the neoprene crushes more - if I go under 60 feet in 50F water I get a bit cold.

I'm dry suite certified and rent DUI dry suite if I go once a while to colder water (my last dive was 39F and semi-dry would not work there).

a small friendly note... there is no such thing as semi-dry, let's be honest and let's call it semi-wet :)

also I highly recommend dry-suite class if you plan to buy dry suite. It's not only about diving, but maintenance as well. $130 class can save you a lot if you buy $1500 dry suite and don't know how to rinse it and store it....

Tyguy, I dive in Rhode Island. Today it was 34 degrees lasted 37 minutes the first dive and 27 the second. I use the Pinnacle Extreme 8mm, intergrated hood, semi-dry. I wear a dive skin underneath and a barracuda hothead under the hood. For the most part warm except my hands near the end of the dive. I think the extreme is discontinued but look on ebay for a good used one I pd. 220.00 for mine new last year when a dive shop in Ca. closed.

Back when I dove regularly I dove in the winter with a 1/4 in (7mm) farmer john and we would pour warm water into our suits just before we dove. I was reasonably warm for the 45 to 60 minutes I was in the water for. I had a great cold water hood and would pull the mitts and boots over the suit cuffs to minimize water exchange. Prewarming the suit with warm water from a thermous was key though, without it I'd get cold in 20-30 minutes.

hey bud, I know most people are telling you to get a drysuit, but it is problibly the best solution. I'am a great lakes diver(lakeOntario 40- 55,Lake Erie 40 -55 and Toby 38) and yes this will be the first year in a drysuit but after 200+ dives in 7mil (O'neill firewall $450) I can tell you with out a doubt I wish I would have bought one 150 dives ago.(yes it's F@#$ Cold) The first fifty are for the learning process. lol. Think about it, you are only talking 500 -600 more dollars for a cheap drysuit. Get a part time job for a couple of weeks and your there. I have been cold for 4 years and laughed about it. If your going to dive every couple of weeks GET THE DRYSUIT. If your going to dive 5-10 times a year get a shorty and freeze you ass-off. Just my 2cents. You do what is right for you.

Cheers

Get a Drysuit, it's worth the investment. when you have one you ask yourself why you dove wet all those years.

it's not difficult to find a good affordable Drysuit. ask at your local dive shops they usually know if anyone is looking to unload a good used drysuit.

if there are any commercial diving outfits they sometimes have gear for sale.

Don't waste time on a 7mm wet suit or Semi-dry suit, that's just money you could put towards a drysuit.

My rules is if I can't dive it in a 3mm or less I Dive Dry. (and I own a 5 & 7mm wetsuit too)

Find a college in a warmer clime.

Chicks in bikinis versus chicks in pea coats?

Diving in warm water versus diving in freezing water?

If you move, you're a winner no matter how you look at it.

Find a college in a warmer clime.

Chicks in bikinis versus chicks in pea coats?

Diving in warm water versus diving in freezing water?

If you move, you're a winner no matter how you look at it.

you can't fault his Logic.:D:rofl3:

That's why I am moving...

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom