Cold water wetsuits (semi drysuits)

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Look at the waterproof semi dry suit, very nice suit great fit. They are on sale at leisure pro for around $300.00. They also make great gloves to..

I've got the 6.5mm ScubaPro Semi-Dry and it works well here in Michigan. Water in the 60s and 50s is plenty comfortable but mid-low 40s can still get chilly. Typically the chill is in the hands and feet though, not the core.

"The best way to save money on a wetsuit, is to buy a drysuit"

I have a Pinnacle Polar 7mm semi dry. I froze my butt off in 48 degree water. I can dive comfortably in a drysuit for over an hour in the same temps and not get cold. Nothing wrong with a nice used drysuit. Undergarments can be fleece sweat pants stacked and some fleece on top. Then when you have some extra money purchase a nice jumpsuit. The class is not necessary and if you have a pool available that would be a good place to start. I never took a drysuit class, and lived to tell about it. Elan is right just find a mentor and start shallow.

Plus a drysuit gives you redundancy for floatation.

Yeah in dry suit 48F is just a very nice relaxing temperature. In that kind of temperature we usually stay down at least for 90 -100 mins. when it gets to 52 you can live there :) we then usually terminate our dives at around 2h mark not because of the cold but because we are usually done with all our stuff. My friend was diving regular sporting close until he bought himself nice undergarments.

Yeah in dry suit 48F is just a very nice relaxing temperature. In that kind of temperature we usually stay down at least for 90 -100 mins. when it gets to 52 you can live there :) we then usually terminate our dives at around 2h mark not because of the cold but because we are usually done with all our stuff. My friend was diving regular sporting close until he bought himself nice undergarments.

LOL what I didn't write was I had a 4mm full suit on under my 7mm semi dry and still froze. Drysuits are the way to go for anything under 60 degrees.

I dive a Scubapro Nova Scotia Semi-dry during the winter around here and love it. In fact, I dove it last weekend for over an hour in 52 degree water and was perfectly comfortable. I tend to be a little hot natured but I think you would be perfectly happy with it. It is easier to dive than a dry suit and has better bouyancy characteristics not to mention much cheaper.

Drysuits are the way to go for anything under 60 degrees.

:no: Sorry, I won't agree totally...:wink: Everyone is different, and we each have different tolerances on the cold, so 60F might be right for you but not for everyone ! I have a Mares 6.5mm semi-dry and can easily stay confortable down to 50F (45-60min dives at 100ft, including deco). Below 50, my dive time is lower. Say below 40 you're around 20min dive time... I did buy a drysuit before moving to New England area and don't regret it, but the semidry is much more streamlined, I simply love it ! The drysuit on the other hand has many other advantages...
I never took classes, and in my organization this is only mandatory if you want to pass exercises or assist classes... I did receive some coaching but can always use more !
But I would not dive it during winter (getting slightly wet in this cold is calling to become an human ice cube after the dive :rofl3:)
I'm not someone who is easily cold, most of the time my buddies used to shortened the dive even though they had similar gear.
Whatever you choose, you will be happy and each have different applications. I believe they are complimentary and make sense to have both over time, I did like you... started on a budget, hence the semidry (I did not "waste" money in the wetsuit as it was cheaper the semidry vs a 2 piece 7mm wetsuit...):coffee:
Enjoy more diving safely !

i can tolerate the cold on a dive fairly well for now. i have found the semi-dry to be cheaper and for me a better option right now. since im strapped for cash no matter what i do is going to be put on hold until i get a more steady income than working a few weekends. thanks for the help/info

Back
Top Bottom