Cold water Wetsuit boots

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

SouthSideScubaSteve

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
I am looking for recommendations for a boot for cold water diving, say the 46-55 degree range....

I had been thinking about the Pinnacle Apex 6mm, Merino lined, but my LDS doesn't keep them in stock and has to order them in. They suggested a Seasoft boot with the Titanium Flake Foil lining, which they do stock ....

I had another shop tell me that any 6mm boot will keep me warm and that the lining won't make any difference...

Any thoughts or opinions??

Steve

:D That may be the dumb question of the week here on Scubaboard!!

feeling cold is a very personal thing so I can't speak for you, but I wear scubapro 5mm boots with no zipper, and I have never had cold feet. Water temps down to 41 deg, and my arms and hands get chilly sometimes, but the feet have been good. I think the zipperless design has something to do with that.

Get the 6mm Merino boot... I dove it and my feet always stayed warm in 48-54 degrees of water... I highly endorse their booties...

MG

+1 for Pinnacle Merino boots. Also the fit is very important. Too large or too small and you are gonna get cold.

I dont dive wet, but I did compare the "merino" lined Pinnacle hood with others and I never realized any advantage with this lining. To the contrary, I wondered if the "fuzzy" lining worked against me by allowing water exchange into the hood. I think there is merit to the "smooth skin" when inhibiting water exchange. We use the Henderson 5mm bootie up here, and people (tourists) report warm feet in mid 40's and up. No zipper, wear the boot under your wetsuit leg. Ditto the fit comment...get 'em snug.

I'm not sure how much (if any) the merino lining makes you warmer, but it definitelly feels good! As for the circulation, it's not as fuzzy" when it's wet. It sticks to the body pretty well.

I too was looking at upgrading my basic booties (5mm Deep Sea Supply)

but instead of spending another $70 or so I jus' picked up a pair of Neoprene socks to wear With my basic booties... and that has served me well (for Alot less money).

Ditto on the neoprene socks. These and a good 6-7 mm neoprene boot and you're ready to push the cold water envelope.

As for the boot I'd put the attention and $$ into finding something that has good solid foot support. If you're doing any sort of rocky entry & exit you don't want something that's built like a slipper.

Also very important is the height of the cut. A taller boot with a bellows on the zipper will limit flushing. Some boots only have a flap at the zipper and that's not a positive barrier.

Pete

I have the pinnacles and they do keep me pretty warm unless I am in sub 40 F water. One this I will say is that they take forever to dry.

Back
Top Bottom