How effective are drysuits? I feel the cold!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

RobM77

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
My first open water experience was in 30 degree (86F) water in a shortie, and for several hours afterwards I was shaking uncontrollably and felt very unwell. I quit diving there and then, but tried again a year later, again in 30 degree water, with my own 5mm suit and 5mm boots. My head was cold, but once I added a 5mm hood I was ok. My wife and I then enjoyed several diving holidays in Mexico (29/30 deg water again) and I was comfortable throughout with the 5mm boots, suit and hood. A change in circmstances means we can’t really access ‘warm’ water anymore, so I’ve been considering diving at home in the UK. Sea temperatures here most of the year are about 10 to 17 degrees (50-62F). Would I manage in a drysuit? I realise thousands of divers are happy here in drysuits, but are any of these divers like me, or are they all more resilient? I tried a drysuit course at my local dive centre, but they didn’t have a drysuit that fitted me - the neck and wrists were baggy on all of them - as you may guess I’m fairly thin with little body fat.

Thanks.

Most UK diving is in a drysuit.

Good underclothes are essential and vary between 7 degrees in April and 19 degrees in September.

You can use a heated vest which works well especially when you’re not moving, such as on a decompression stop.

Drysuits, underclothes and suit heaters aren’t cheap — a set of these could cost £4000/$6000 (including battery). They do last though.

Only one way to find out, I'm afraid. You may find that it's possible to dive comfortably with a drysuit, thick (and perhaps heated) undergarments, dry gloves and hood--or you may still not be comfortable.

I like this wetsuit thickness guide; in my experience, most people fall within one of the two categories of cold tolerance. But you were already wearing what they recommend for divers prone to cold (ETA: on that first dive where you were freezing), so you may be at the extreme end of the bell curve: Scuba Wetsuit Thickness Guide: How to Match Your Wetsuit to the Water Temperature

Norwegian diver here, I have roughly the same cold tolerance as you describe, ie. I had to add a hood for Red Sea diving (Octrober by memory) in full 5mm new suit.

I dive year round in Norway, always in a drysuit, no electric heating.

Get a proper sized drysuit that allows the required underwear, add a 10 mm hood, and you'll be good!

My wife dives in a 5mm at 84F and would get cold in a 3mm. She is warm in a drysuit without heater in the local quarry at 50F using a 10mm hood and drygloves. The drysuit is from Seaskin and cost about £600. You should be fine in the drysuit.

62F is supesummer water temperature in dry suit :) With good undergarments and 7mm hood and dry gloves I can stay in 42F water for about an hour

I dive dry. Heating vest and gloves. With 400g undergarment + thick baselayer.

I dont like being cold.

you can stay pretty warm with suitable dry suit and undergarments - upgrade to a hearted suit for more comfort - it really comes down to $ and how much you can afford. diving in cold water is hard work no matter how you look at it - your bulkier and everything is more awkward but if thats the way it is then the decision come down to how much do you want to dive - i find my hands are the deciding factor, without heated dry gloves after 90 min youll find it hard to manipulate gear if your hands get cold

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom