Cold Water Wet Suit advice

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

aarek

New
Reaction score
I am looking to purchase a wet suit, 6mm~7mm for cold water diving. I've done some research but there are just too much information, mostly from manufacturers. I need some verified, experienced information. So, help!

Something not too expensive but easy to put on and take off, warm, comfortable, and stretchy. If you own a particular brand and have opinions, I'd welcome any and all. Pluses and minuses? Cost and benefit? All info will be much appreciated.

Yeah I own a very nice Pinnacle Polar wetsuit for cold water...get a drysuit and stay warm!

What do you mean by cold water?

What do you plan to do on these dives?

Jeff

Well I have a 7/6 Bare Velocity (with a 5mm vest for when it gets really cold), and its pretty nice. Still, at temps of about 50 it's still COLD - but I can Bare it (get it?). If you want to actually be warm (just not hypothemic), I'd think you'd want a drysuit though. I guess I wouldn't know though - don't have one.

-Nick

I dive Harvey's 7mm Titanium suit. It is very stretchy which makes it a little easier to get in and out of. Also makes wearing a vest underneath it easier. It has proven to be durable also, as I have had it in and out of quite a few wrecks with no damage.

David

aarek:
I am looking to purchase a wet suit, 6mm~7mm for cold water diving. I've done some research but there are just too much information, mostly from manufacturers. I need some verified, experienced information. So, help!

Something not too expensive but easy to put on and take off, warm, comfortable, and stretchy. If you own a particular brand and have opinions, I'd welcome any and all. Pluses and minuses? Cost and benefit? All info will be much appreciated.

Again, it depends what you mean by cold. I've done 70 dives now in cold water (about 40C), and I've finally decided that ENOUGH IS ENOUGH... time to go dry. Lately it has been 38C, and it just isn't enjoyable anymore.

If buying new, perhaps think of spending the extra for a drysuit. I haven't gone dry yet, but from what I understand, you'll be glad you did.

- ChillyWaters

If I understand wetsuits right, doesnt a 7 mil john and jacket give you 14 mil over your core? I was thinking about doing this for the quarry diving around here (50 degrees now). Would this be appropriate? I want to extend my diving season, but without going dry. Yet.

ChillyWaters I hope you mean 40 F cause 40 C is toasty warm. I dive a wetsuit in low 40's Fahrenheit and I'n the summers I find it quite bare-able :) . Though when the outside temparture is cool then I find that I'm cool to begin with and then the dive will not warm me up what so ever. But in the summer when you put your suit on and lug your gear around I get so hot that I'm just begging for freezing water. It will take the dive to cool me back down to normal. I love it. I couldn't imagine being wrapped and sweating in a giant condom oops drysuit when it is HOT out. Though winter time it gets nipply. Just have to keep moving and explore more. I dive in a Bare 7 mil Jacket and John with a GOOD hood.

Gotta agree with ShakaZulu, love my Xcel (9-7-6 polar). Great build quality, but it does cost more than an "economy" suit. I have a Bare 5/4 for cool, not cold, water, and am very happy with that as well. Bare seems to give good value for the price. The great thing about both these manufacturers is they have a wide variety of sizes, and I can get a good fit. A good snug fit means less water circulation through the suit, and a warmer dive. Some suits feature internal baffles, which also help to reduce water flow. Stretchy material is nice, but often compresses more with depth losing some insulation. If that gives you a great fit however, without shelling out the bucks for a custom suit, it may be worth it.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom