Cold Water Wet Suit advice

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Check out a brand called "Waterproof". Its kind of hard to find, but they make a great two piece"john/jacket" in 7mm.. Lots of zippers/neckseal wrist seals and ankle seals. Cost is comparable to a good two piece Bare suit. It would be the suit I would buy if I had to do it again. I have dove in my wet to 40-42 deg. Lake Tahoe in March, snow on the ground. I have a 7 mm semi dry aquaflite custom suit. Look at a "Waterproof"...after looking, I bet you will probably buy it.

I have a pair of the gloves "waterproof" Zippers instead of velcrow. Go on and off easy. Best gloves I own.

alot of variables, i do not want to shiver on any dive, no fun, i wear a 7ml hyperstretch on 82 down to 60's then change to drysuit, however i did one (50s) dive in a drysuit and switched to a 3ml hyperstretch with a 7 ml hyperstretch over the top and felt the same. I did 43 degree last week in my drysuit and was comfortable except forgot extra socks and feet got cold and hands. ONe thing about dry suits is you don't get as cold between dives when it is 32 degree surface temp. Try some different things out, exposure gear seems never ending no matter what you have it seems if it fits and is comfortable there is a place to use it.

:thinkingo What is cold water for you? a very difficult question to answer. My recomendation is to go for a dry or semi dry suit from the start. As soon as you get to 7mm you will be so much more comfortable in a dry suit that it is worth the extra training and cost.
I must admit though I am a wimp now when it comes to cold water.

utdivermatt:
If I understand wetsuits right, doesnt a 7 mil john and jacket give you 14 mil over your core? I was thinking about doing this for the quarry diving around here (50 degrees now). Would this be appropriate? I want to extend my diving season, but without going dry. Yet.

Probably.

50F is a frequent line of demarkation between liking wet and wanting dry. Most divers can handle 50F in 7mm w/2X on the core. You may only be good for 1 dive w/o a long and propper SI.

Also consider a 7mm full suit like a Bare Arctic and their 7mm hooded step-in. It's the same bulidup of rubber but I think it's a more effective configuration. I set my DSaside last Saturday and had a nice dive in 40F wearing my combo as described.

Pete

Cold water diving = Drysuit!!!
Forget the wetsuit/semi-dry but then again it all depends on your interpretation of cold water!!!!

I'd suggest going dry as well. You can get a used DS pretty reasonable when compariing with a decent wetsuit. Heck, I think I saw a great deal on a bare nexgen with all the bells fo $500 used on one of the gear exchange forums (here or TDS). Granted, you have to factor in undergarments, but you can get cheap fleece for the time being... and some people sell their UG's with their suits. Remember: eBay is your friend.

Chris

utdivermatt:
If I understand wetsuits right, doesnt a 7 mil john and jacket give you 14 mil over your core?

Yes, that's correct. The temperature at which that might be comfortable seems to be a highly personal issue. I've been in at 50 degrees with a 7mm fj plus a 6/5/4 hooded (chicken) vest and I felt fine. I also wear 7mm gloves and booties and neoprene shorts for that little extra where it counts most :wink:. I think that this set-up can (for me) handle lower temperatures. It might be different for others. To go for even lower temps, I've recently added the bare 7mm step-in hooded vest and Bare 3-finger 7mm mitts. We'll see how that goes. I know, a lot of you will simply say, "drysuit" but I feel as though these measures will be an economical solution until my financial situation will allow the purchase of one.

Besides, doesn't neoprene smell good? I can't be the only one that thinks that. Mmmmm.

aarek:
I am looking to purchase a wet suit, 6mm~7mm for cold water diving. I've done some research but there are just too much information, mostly from manufacturers. I need some verified, experienced information. So, help!

Something not too expensive but easy to put on and take off, warm, comfortable, and stretchy. If you own a particular brand and have opinions, I'd welcome any and all. Pluses and minuses? Cost and benefit? All info will be much appreciated.

Do not buy a wetsuit without reading this first http://www.scubadiving.com/gear/exposure_protection/the_chill_is_gone/1/. This is most non-biased review of suits I've ever seen. The 7mm Akona is the clear winner and you can find it for much less than they say in the review. This is the one I'll be getting soon. I have gone through all the options and seen what most manufacturers put out there and there seems to be alot of BS slinging around with regards to wetsuit performance. Another great article for general wetsuit info is here.... http://www.scubadiving.com/gear/exposure_protection/wetsuit_hype:_10_big_lies/. Have fun... and get the Akona 7mm, you won't be sorry.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom