Cold-water vs warm-water training

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

... Oh, I know that there's a significant diving population in that part of Canada. Many of my own customers come from Montreal and Toronto and environs. I also know how often most of them dive, and among the instructors and DMs I know in the area, the vast majority have "day jobs," meaning that their principal occupations are not scuba-related whereas most DMs and instructors in places like where I work are full-time scuba professionals. Nothing wrong with either option, but it is something for the OP to consider when she's making her own decision.

It has been my experience that one hour of diving under extreme conditions can have more intensity that 100 hours of diving in swimming pool like conditions. Perhaps the OP should consider this as well... :)

Perhaps the OP should consider this as well... :)

I'm trying to consider everything. I know I'm going to miss something but I'm trying anyway. :cool2:

What about the possibility of doing your IDC and IE up in Canada the going down south to do your MSDT? The MSDT would give you more experience with a different Course Director and dive crew than where you currently are at. You would get experience in both diving environments, cold water and warm water plus build valuable contacts in both areas. If you could save up some money when you go down south you could then probably get a job with the school/shop you do the MSDT with. I cannot guarantee success with this approach but at least you could maximize each areas learning experience.

Excellent advice all round. For my 2 cents, (or 2 pennies ) WHere you intend to work is key. Having worked and trained in both cold and warm water, I have stuck with the warm water more recently and with our higher volumes of students feel this is a good benefit when I train divemasters and instructors as the opportunity to work with more variety and lots of different problems as they occur is excellent experience. Cold water preps you for a lot though and all my candidates that have come from cold water environments I have found in general are super prepared. Have fun with your programs and pick where you feel most comfortable.

I've finally made up my mind and will be heading down to Roatan at the beginning of August to start my DM internship. My decision was based on many variables, of which water temperature was only one. I realized that aside from the dive training, I was also looking for an opportunity to stretch my horizons and comfort zone a bit. I'm leaving the door open to doing the IDC after my internship but I haven't committed to it yet, so I may very well still end up doing that here in cold water, but I imagine that's something that I'll decide one evening while watching the sunset over the beach after a day of diving.

thanks for the update!!!!
hope some of our input was of help to you
i wish you the best of luck!!
make it fun and
have fun!
yaeg

Back
Top Bottom