Cold-water vs warm-water training

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

oreocookie

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
I apologize, this is a bit wordy, but here we go:

I went to the Go Pro night at one of the LDS around here last night hoping for a bit of an idea what to expect with the process and job prospects after completion, general curiosity, basically. I had originally been planning on going south to do a 2-month or so DM internship, but from their sales pitch and from talking to the instructors who were there (some of whom have taught me and/or dove with me), I'm looking into the possibility of doing DM (and possibly the IDC) locally and then going down south to work later on.

Obviously the shop has an interest in me doing my courses with them (although the look on the course director's face when I asked if I could do the internship there in gear they don't sell was kinda comical), but it comes up often on here to do your training where you intend to work. This makes sense to me in that if you want to work in cold water, a warm water internship is going to be a bit lacking, but is the opposite true? Does doing my DM and/or Instructor training in cold water make me more versatile as a dive pro? My guess is yes, but is it actually easier to get a warm-water job as a cold-water-trained instructor?

It seems I could get more experience working as a DMT down south based on the higher volume of boat trips and classes (at least in a shorter period of time), so I'm really wondering how much of their "train here, go work there, you'll be a better dm/instructor and it'll be easier to get a job" suggestion is a sales pitch to do the course with them and how much is just plain truth. (If I decide to train here, I may or may not do the course with them.)

Thanks for any insight.

The cold vs. warm thing will get you a lot of responses. Having dived in both conditions I can say it is generally harder to dive in the cold. Equipment, wts., etc. But there are a few things about warm water diving that must be learned. I think you'll find most will advise to do as much training as you can where you intend to work.

you're also on mark about volume of students!
you have more numbers to work with(problems also) down south!
it's a toss!
i think it would be a great asset to bring back to the north country your training experiences down there!
dealing with 12 students that can't sink at a time,mask leaks,can't equilize,etc.
as opposed to 4 or five who were trained to expect cold water,brain freeze,near zero viz,7mm gloved dexterity
it's all good!!!!!
it will all make you a good dm/instructor/role model!
best wishes
have fun#1
yaeg

Thanks for the responses guys, I knew I could count on some northerners to chime in here.

But there are a few things about warm water diving that must be learned.

It's interesting that you mention that, because it seems like it's hardly ever mentioned on here. My experience is that you have to pay a lot more attention to your depth gauge in warm water with high-viz. Very easy to find yourself at 100ft and wonder how that happened, while I remember it seemed like an eternity descending into an endless abyss to get to 100ft in the local quarry during my AOW class (the only reason one would want to go to 100ft there, IMO). I'm curious what else you think has to be learned for warm water?

I'll continue to look into all my options, but I'm beginning to doubt that it'll be too much of a stretch to work here later if I do DM down south, since all my previous training has been here, so cold water diving is not foreign to me.

Much of cold water diving is in quarries, and nearly all warm-water diving is in the ocean, so some of the difference between cold water training in a place like Montreal versus warm water training in a place like Florida is really the difference between ocean and lake: tides, currents, surge/surf. Some of it is fauna, such as rocks (no problem with kicking them) versus coral (which you will kill if you kick it). And finally navigation--in a small area, navigation is easier than it is in the ocean since if you get all turned around in the ocean, you may find yourself in a real pickle.

Having done pro-level training/diving in the UK and the tropics, I really don't subscribe to any notion that either warm/cold water diving is superior. Any location has unique factors determined by water conditions (of which temperature is just one factor)... a diver, pro-level or not, receives training and experience based upon the specific factors relevant to the nature of where they dive.

Personally, I think the "cold water is better training" debate arises as nothing more than the solitary line of argument available to cold-water locations when trying to counter the obvious advantages (cost, lifestyle, dive enjoyment) readily available in warm water locations.

I did my DM course in the UK... by BSAC Instructor course on Ascension Island in the mid-Atlantic...and my PADI IDC in Thailand. None of those courses were better or worse due to the climatic/water conditions. All were very beneficial and taught me new approaches. Each of the training experiences developed my overall capability and introduced me to different issues and problems to overcome.

I don't think a Thailand trained DM could instantly operate in Northern Europe.... but they could easily adjust after a prudent period gaining experience in the new location.

Likewise, I don't think a UK trained DM/Instructor could instantly operate in the tropics - as the nature of the market and course/training typically demands a different approach to lesson conduct and scheduling. Again, they could adapt easily with a little experience and an open-mind.

Obviously, a well-experienced diver should have no problems adapting to new conditions. But they do need to adapt. That is different from assuming you won't be able to adapt, or that the training received will be of greater or lesser quality or relevance. If the diver also has prior experience under certain conditions, then that adaptation at pro-level will be much more straightforward.

Obviously weighting and exposure suit (or not) is different. In the tropics (or even subtropics) there are generally more things that can sting you, cut you, etc. Also, as mentioned, more stuff that you can damage, and laws/requirements that prevent that. No one seems to care up North if you bump into something/disturb some kelp or seaweed, or startle a flounder, etc. I agree with DevonD that neither locale is better, harder, etc. Up North to me is mostly more of a hassle with equipment.

Agree totally with DD.

If your taking a class you need to be proficient in that environment

When I switch to teaching in Belize I spend a few days first getting used to the conditions. And again when I return to Scotland.

To just jump in with students is, IMHO, short changing them.

Regards.

I apologize, this is a bit wordy, but here we go:

I went to the Go Pro night at one of the LDS around here last night hoping for a bit of an idea what to expect with the process and job prospects after completion, general curiosity, basically. I had originally been planning on going south to do a 2-month or so DM internship, but from their sales pitch and from talking to the instructors who were there (some of whom have taught me and/or dove with me), I'm looking into the possibility of doing DM (and possibly the IDC) locally and then going down south to work later on.

Obviously the shop has an interest in me doing my courses with them (although the look on the course director's face when I asked if I could do the internship there in gear they don't sell was kinda comical), but it comes up often on here to do your training where you intend to work. This makes sense to me in that if you want to work in cold water, a warm water internship is going to be a bit lacking, but is the opposite true? Does doing my DM and/or Instructor training in cold water make me more versatile as a dive pro? My guess is yes, but is it actually easier to get a warm-water job as a cold-water-trained instructor?

It seems I could get more experience working as a DMT down south based on the higher volume of boat trips and classes (at least in a shorter period of time), so I'm really wondering how much of their "train here, go work there, you'll be a better dm/instructor and it'll be easier to get a job" suggestion is a sales pitch to do the course with them and how much is just plain truth. (If I decide to train here, I may or may not do the course with them.)

Thanks for any insight.

As someone who was trained in Canada all the way up through to IDCS, I think that the conditions and instructional methodology inherent in diving there translates to people who can dive and teach just about anywhere.

Frankly, I have found that people coming from temperate climes transition much easier to diving in warm water than vice versa. And yes, I believe it makes you more versatile.

Meanwhile, no matter where you decide you want to train, do some research on the shops/Instructors/Course Directors in your area before making a decision on who to train with. Don't rush into it.

FWIW,

I would support getting your training in the worst possible conditions that safety permits. Warm water conditions are much easier and make a simple transition. Good luck.

Back
Top Bottom