Cold water suits ???

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Paleface

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
I have only been diving for 2 years. I dive in cold Maryland quarries/ocean. I know that if I want to stay warm in water below 50 I should go to a drysuit. I have had a couple different 7 mil farmer johns but would like to get a 1 piece full suit,so I ordered a few 7 mil suits to try on and I really like the Bare Elastek. It seals everywhere great and with the soft stretchy neoprene it fits like a glove,no air spaces and is easy to move around.
My problem is I have read that this material is not as warm as others. If this is true I am assuming the stretchy neoprene compresses more than the stiff suits. Would wearing a 3 or 5 mil shorty over top help compensate for that in the colder conditions so I would still have the ability to move freely. The suit feels so nice! Thanks for any suggestions. Keith

I have suit with the newer style of elastic neoprene, it is actually toasty warm and much more comfortable than a 7M John+Jacket. I believe the compression is more of an issue if you dive deep (100ft+) rather than moderate depths.

I have tried the 3 mil shorty over and under a 5 mil suite, it sucked. The arms were much too restricted. If you are going to layer, consider a core warmer (cut sleeveless) with hood.

I have only been diving for 2 years. I dive in cold Maryland quarries/ocean. I know that if I want to stay warm in water below 50 I should go to a drysuit. I have had a couple different 7 mil farmer johns but would like to get a 1 piece full suit,so I ordered a few 7 mil suits to try on and I really like the Bare Elastek. It seals everywhere great and with the soft stretchy neoprene it fits like a glove,no air spaces and is easy to move around.
My problem is I have read that this material is not as warm as others. If this is true I am assuming the stretchy neoprene compresses more than the stiff suits. Would wearing a 3 or 5 mil shorty over top help compensate for that in the colder conditions so I would still have the ability to move freely. The suit feels so nice! Thanks for any suggestions. Keith

The core warmer will help a lot!

A drysuit could certainly be an option, as could a Semidry wetsuit. A 1pc 7mm probably won't be quite as warm as a 2pc one, unless wearing a thick core warmer under it, because a 2pc actually puts 14mm of neoprene around your core, where as a 1pc only has a single layer of 7mm. Any exposure protection suit will compress once under water & compresses more with increasing depth. A drysuit offers the option of being able to add air to the suit to offset the compression. This option though is what makes it neccesary to get training or at the least to dive it the first few times with an experienced buddy who can mentor you about the suit & its properties. Semidry wetsuits have extra seals & a water resistant zipper that actually allows very little water to get through. There can be a bit of squeeze on a Semidry, since it has no way to use air to equalize. It is possible to flood the suit to equalize,... but then that sort of defeats the purpose of staying warm. Most just put up with a little discomfort.

Thanks for the replies.
The problem I had with the farmer Johns was sealing at the neck. They seem to always allow water in and it would travel to the voids between the two pieces and under the arms. I used a hooded vest as a core warmer underneath and that helped but it still allowed cold water in when I moved my head around.
I am hoping with the way the Bare elastek fits so snug to your body and seals great around your neck,wrists,ankles,if I wear a hooded vest or shorty over top for added warmth I will still have a good seal underneath. Does this make sense? Thanks again.

Get the companion hooded step in vest from Bare. I dive the old Arctic suit and that vest complements it well.

Pete

Get the companion hooded step in vest from Bare. I dive the old Arctic suit and that vest complements it well.

Pete

I have this same combo... you wont get any neck flushing with this setup... and Bare's easy on your wallet as well...

Thanks guys, how does that zipper feel up to the face and it seals well???

You won't even know it's there. Some divers (self included) fint it helps to add a little Velcro strap to prevent inadvertent opening.

What is really nice is that you can don the hood and zip up right before going in and open it up on egress. That adds a lot of comfort on shore dives with some walking.

Pete

This is all good info. I am looking at buying my first 7mm suit. All I have is a 3mm shorty and a 3mm full body suit. I am tired of freezing in the quarries. The info. from tstormdiver is great. I was wondering the pros and cons of a semi-dry suit, other than the cost. I will be watching this thread for a little while. Thanks guys. I was about o start a similar thread and now I don't have too.

Back
Top Bottom