Cold Water Reg Suggestions?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Dave.E

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
Hello!

I am looking to pick up my first regulator. I am living in Ontario so it will have to be suitable for cold water. I would also like it to be tech ready just in case I choose to go down that path in the future. I am looking for some suggestions...

From the research I have done it looks like I would be best suited with a first stage that has a Diaphram & is environmentally sealed. The second stage would need all metal parts?

I am a student so I am just looking for something functional as I can't afford a bunch of frills. I took a look at HOG and Diverite because they seem to fit my budget, but the guy at my LDS told me that these are examples of 'fictional branding of a copied repeat product.' (Sorry if you are reading this! I still think you are a really nice guy)

Any input would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks,
Dave

Last edited:
The guy at the LDS doesn't sell HOG nor Diverite does he? *shakes head*

Go for the HOG brand you can't go wrong. Just get the cold water version. If it needs service you can always send it out. Most places have a faster turn around time than my local LDS takes for doing a set of regs on a walk in.

The guy at the LDS doesn't sell HOG nor Diverite does he? *shakes head*

Go for the HOG brand you can't go wrong. Just get the cold water version. If it needs service you can always send it out. Most places have a faster turn around time than my local LDS takes for doing a set of regs on a walk in.

+1 (padding added because reply has to be > 5 characters :D)

Imitation is the sincerest form of flattery
Very good copies of the original British Apeks DST.

I love all this talk of copies of this or that. Fact is every reg is a variation on a time tested mechanical design that delivers air. There shapes that lend themselves to scuba regs. A cylinder is a cylinder. What is inside it is what makes the difference. The cheap copy often comes from people who don't know what they are talking about, don't sell them, are pissed because you can learn to bypass the shop for service, spent double or even triple on something that does the exact same thing and not better, or comes from a mfg that doesn't play the old boy game. A mfg that has dealers but still considers divers customers. And tries to treat them right. I don't care if your lds is reading this. He's ignorant of the brand. And if you want a quote from someone who sends a lot of these to Canada shoot me a pm.

Sent from my DROID X2 using Tapatalk 2

No free parts for life with HOG regulators...if you're looking to buy new, then Apeks is the way to go for coldwater regulators. The price difference will pay for itself in a few rebuilds.

Apeks rebuild kits, if not covered by free parts for life (like buying a used regulator):
1st stage : $30 each
2nd stage : $18 each

My singles rig is an Apeks XTX100. My doubles rig is the Apeks Tek3 set

You can buy pre-2012 Apeks models for discounted prices right now (still covered by free parts for life from an authorized dealer!). They did a design revision for 2013, so dive shops are trying to liquidate their older stock. The design revision was almost entirely cosmetic, with the guts of the regulators remaining the same.

No free parts for life with HOG regulators...if you're looking to buy new, then Apeks is the way to go for coldwater regulators. The price difference will pay for itself in a few rebuilds.

Really ??? your understanding of economics must be far superior to my own.

$70 in parts adds up...considering you can buy last year's Apeks regulators for around $350.

OK, since you'd like to advance the issue:
1) D1 1st and 2nd stage parts are $35. (I don't know where you got $70)
2) The service interval is for HOG regulators is every two years (as opposed to Apeks once a year for the 2nd stage, a 'lite' service (IP and filter annually for the 1st) and 2 years on the first)
3) Price for a HOG D1 first (cold water) and second is $280.

If you'd like to give us your service prices for the annual 2nd stage, 'lite' first stange and bi-annual 1st we can do a real comparison. .

Are you sure you want to continue ?

Oh and I forgot that $280 includes the LP hose. . .

I would go with Scubapro MK17/G250V or past 2011 (you can still get them on sale in some places) or Apeks XTX50/DST or XTX50/DS4. Check what's easier to service to you locally.

You can forget about sending them out for the service here. Especially cross border. That option is not really economically viable. Even inside Ontario it will add another $30-40 to the service bill.
Just get what you can service locally.

Another option would be to go an Aqualung Titan LX but it is not so popular amongst the techs here.

Hello!

I am looking to pick up my first regulator. I am living in Ontario so it will have to be suitable for cold water. I would also like it to be tech ready just in case I choose to go down that path in the future. I am looking for some suggestions...

From the research I have done it looks like I would be best suited with a first stage that has a Diaphram & is environmentally sealed. The second stage would need all metal parts?

I am a student so I am just looking for something functional as I can't afford a bunch of frills. I took a look at HOG and Diverite because they seem to fit my budget, but the guy at my LDS told me that these are examples of 'fictional branding of a copied repeat product.' (Sorry if you are reading this! I still think you are a super nice guy)

Any input would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks,
Dave

---------- Post added February 22nd, 2013 at 03:55 PM ----------

If you consider economics and to be fair you should also consider the resale value :) just like cars. I recently sold an about 10 old Apeks for the same price that brand new HOGs are sold for.

Just saying...

OK, since you'd like to advance the issue:
1) D1 1st and 2nd stage parts are $35. (I don't know where you got $70)
2) The service interval is for HOG regulators is every two years (as opposed to Apeks once a year for the 2nd stage, a 'lite' service (IP and filter annually for the 1st) and 2 years on the first)
3) Price for a HOG D1 first (cold water) and second is $280.

If you'd like to give us your service prices for the annual 2nd stage, 'lite' first stange and bi-annual 1st we can do a real comparison. .

Are you sure you want to continue ?

Oh and I forgot that $280 includes the LP hose. . .

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom