Cold Water Reg Suggestions?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Thanks for all the input. Sounds like HOG is a well respected brand. The only thing I am concerned about at this point is part availability when travelling.

Is this really an issue? In theory as long as I service it regularly nothing should stop working while travelling...

Dave

Not an issue. Buy a kit to take with you. It's what I do, I have a 1st and 2nd stage rebuild kit in my save-a dive box. Started doing that when I was diving my Sherwood Brut as a newer diver and saw someone's day nearly ruined by a low pressure seat in his second stage. I had an extra reg so I lent him my octo from it. Otherwise he would have been diving with a leaky reg as he also had no port plug to just remove it and dive with one second.

Not an issue. Buy a kit to take with you. It's what I do, I have a 1st and 2nd stage rebuild kit in my save-a dive box. Started doing that when I was diving my Sherwood Brut as a newer diver and saw someone's day nearly ruined by a low pressure seat in his second stage. I had an extra reg so I lent him my octo from it. Otherwise he would have been diving with a leaky reg as he also had no port plug to just remove it and dive with one second.

Plus one on the spare rebuild kits and tools... Don't go diving without it...:wink:

Jim...

I have 4 sets of Hogs (Doubles and 2 deco tanks) - and, I will probably buy another this summer. I would have spent anu number of dollars if it meant a better reg, or easier servicing. Hog is the best deal on the market for a great reg.

These arguments (free parts for life, etc) are clever ,marketing aimed at people that dont have enough time to really look under the hood for the whole story.

I have 4 sets of Hogs (Doubles and 2 deco tanks) - and, I will probably buy another this summer. I would have spent anu number of dollars if it meant a better reg, or easier servicing. Hog is the best deal on the market for a great reg.

These arguments (free parts for life, etc) are clever ,marketing aimed at people that dont have enough time to really look under the hood for the whole story.
free parts for life is like spending a dollar to save a dime with the hog you can take a class and do your maintenance with this reg you don't need much in tools or skill

For the first regulator purchase for a new diver, I will suggest something you can get local support from your LDS. Better yet, a brand and model where you can get support worldwide in case you have issue on vacation.

Being a relatively new diver, the chance of serviving the reg yourself is low. Even with HOG, you need to have some kind of tech crudential to enroll in the service class. On top of that, you will need the proper tools and adjustment device to properly service the reg. They are all quite expansive.

As for for tech ready for future, I won't place too much emphasis on it. You want to pick a reg that fit your current usage the best. When you get into tech, buying one more additinal reg is the less of your concern (cost wise)

I love HOG myself. I have 3 of them. Cost aside, I dont think they are the best choice for new divers. With cost in mind, they are good deal for the quality. But with the current special running from NESS for Aqualung and from Beaver for Scubapro, I would argue they are better choice for new divers. My main concern is NOT the qualit of HOG, definiltey not, if anything else I am super impressed with the quality and support from Chris. It is the lack of support network that make it less ideal for new diver.

Hello!
I am looking to pick up my first regulator. I am living in Ontario so it will have to be suitable for cold water. I would also like it to be tech ready just in case I choose to go down that path in the future. I am looking for some suggestions...

Let me reveal some of the smoke and mirrors here, IF your LDS has a service technician it dosen't nessesarily mean they service all brands. There are facilities that do wholesale service for other dive shops, (mine included). It is not uncommon for people to mail their regs to these shops for service. So this is an option for you if you are worried about technical support.

You can't go wrong with Apeks, they're simply the best!

You can't go wrong with Apeks, they're simply the best!

You just posted in five threads saying that

How's the commission?

Back
Top Bottom