Cold water gloves

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

formernuke

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
# of dives
I just don't log dives
I'm finding myself in need of new gloves for the lovely new england waters. I'm currently working on control and boyancy and do like to take pictures so I need to be able to work the camera buttons. Later after I get my boyancy down I plan to take up spearfishing. What have you guys found that works well for cold water and what have you found that doesn't, I'm just trying to narrow my choices down so that I can make a final decision from there

Thanks in advance.

my 5mm gloves to 7mm Henderson Hyperstretch... they have helped keep my hands warmer.

If you are diving a drysuit the best thing is to have dry rings installed then just use small wool gloves with industrial marigolds (heavy duty dish gloves). Hands stay warm and dry plus you can't beat the dexterity. Oh and they are super cheap also. A pack of 12 is like 20 bucks thats enough to last over 100 dives unless you are really hard on them.

If you are diving wet go with a gauntlet glove. this will extend up over your wrists and be cinched with a Velcro strap. The gauntlet style has a few things going for it. First of all the significant overlap makes for minimal water exchange. This works great with a wetsuit or the neoprene seals of my drysuit. Second it does add additional rubber over your wrists where you blood flows near the surface. Warm blood equals warm hands.

I have been using the 5mm version from Bare. There are versions with and without Kevlar. For the dexterity you desire get the ones without Kevlar.

Let the fit be a little bit on the loose side. You want free circulation and to want your palms to warm a small amount of water. When you flex your hands the water will circulate to your fingers and keep you comfortable. Ice dive and sub 40F OW tested.

I could have just posted a link after all ths....

Pete

I just went from SeaSoft 5mm (gauntlet) to 7mm Henderson H2's as I've noticed that tool/camera/light/etc operation has been getting harder as I get to 25-30 mins in 48-52F (hoping to dive them this weekend, or in Monterey the following).

On land flexibility seems about the same as the SeaSoft's, and at least as easy if not easier to put on. I'll post results once I've field tested them.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom