Cold water diving

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Around here at this time of year, the water is in the low 30s, high 20s so getting a numb face is part of the game and unless you have electric gloves, your hands are going to start getting numb after about 15-20 minutes.

Yes, but then they would be wet-dry gloves............

fire_diver:
I am shocked that so many people here regularly dive in water cold enough to numb exposed skin, then just continue on with the dive.

Comrade (cold) Stroke

Where I dive, it's that or don't dive!:eyebrow:

Comrade Diver, I'm curious about the temp that you encountered at depth. Up here a surface temp of 56F is actually pretty nice. Even in summer our bottom temps get down to 40F. Pretty much drysuit stuff, but it can be done wet.

Concerning DS diving, I can attest the the big difference the dry gloves make. I did two dives in 35 degree water this winter. First was a shore dive with wet gloves, the second was an ice dive with SI tech dry gloves. After the first dive my hands got quite cold, really chilled me during the dive. The ice dive with the dry cloves was much better. I think I'll keep them!

Dive1Dennis:
Comrade Diver, I'm curious about the temp that you encountered at depth.

So am I! My best guess is that it was in the upper 30's. Surface temp was about 56. The first thermal was at about 25, and it dropped the temp to 45-47 (I can't remember exactly, and I don't have my computer here). I crossed the 2nd thermal somewhere around 55-60, because at 65 I was fully in the coldest water. My own observations has been that thermoclines tend to be about 8-10 degree temp swings. So that should have put the temp in the 35-38 degree zone.

Comrade Diver

The coldest I have dived in is 11 c. That was a real eye opener for me. I hate wearing hoods, they are uncomfortable, but I will be rethinking that or at least finding a comfortable one for diving here in Tassie.

I have dived in warmer waters, as hi as 18c which is quite nice but I do prefer the colder temps.

I went ice diving in a wetsuit, water temp was... cold enough to have to walk out on the ice before you can get wet.

Let's see... I had to sit up on top of the ice and hold the tender lines for about a half hour, wearing a wetsuit, ready to go... My feet started to get a little numb, then my face a little... It was 28 F out, but it was windy too, so it felt cold... Then when it finally became my turn, I jumped in and stayed under for a half hour in a wetsuit.

THEN, my girl wants to jump in the water to take a picture of her wearing a wetsuit in the water, so I stayed in for that too... My legs were past numb.

I LOVED IT... I will be ice diving a lot in the future... I am going to fly back to Michigan from Florida every winter, probably a couple times, just to ice dive.

OH, and I will probably never bother with a dry suit until I am way older... I was ok in a wetsuit...

CJ Waid:
I went ice diving in a wetsuit, water temp was... cold enough to have to walk out on the ice before you can get wet.

Let's see... I had to sit up on top of the ice and hold the tender lines for about a half hour, wearing a wetsuit, ready to go... My feet started to get a little numb, then my face a little... It was 28 F out, but it was windy too, so it felt cold... Then when it finally became my turn, I jumped in and stayed under for a half hour in a wetsuit.

THEN, my girl wants to jump in the water to take a picture of her wearing a wetsuit in the water, so I stayed in for that too... My legs were past numb.

I LOVED IT... I will be ice diving a lot in the future... I am going to fly back to Michigan from Florida every winter, probably a couple times, just to ice dive.

Thanks for the chuckle!

Maybe we can do a timeshare-type swap for my peak ice weeks in February! :wink:

Dave C

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom