Cold water diving

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

DOkie:
Ice finally went out and going diving in the Bay this weekend. I hate that moment right before you go under water, because you KNOW it's going to HURT. Then all goes numb and everythings great.

Question though. I know that if the water here is warm (60 - in the fall) I have a tendency to ditch the drysuit and even get a little warm in the wetsuit. For those that dive in cold water consistently, do you have a problem gettng overheated in warmer climates?

Overheated can happen, but mostly out of the water, getting ready to go in. Since bottom temps can still be in the 40s or lower, often times I will still be in fairly thick thermals even when air temps are in the 80s or higher. For the most part, at depth, water temperatures around here do not generally get so warm as to be a problem. When bottom temps are in the mid 50s or higher, I switch to a lighter summer weight underwear.

No. I felt just as chilled last week in Bonaire (79F) in a 3mm as I do here in MA (36-38F now) in my dry suit. I wear thick undergaments, a very tight 7 mm hood, and use dry gloves. Didn't notice being cold the first few days in Bonaire, but after 20+ dives, I was chilly getting into the water.

fire_diver:
So, has ^you^ ever dove in water that was actually painful?
^they^ have done some research on this topic. :wink:

Effects of Hand and Foot Heating on Diver Thermal Balance.
Weinberg and Thalmann. 1990
RRR ID: 4247

"Divers at rest immersed in cold water for long durations wearing passive thermal protection garments are limited by low finger and toe temperatures, which cause pain and numbness before rectal temperatures fall to unsafe levels. It was reasoned that low levels of hand and foot heating might improve diver comfort..."

Suggested Reading List on Thermal Protection from the Rubicon Research Repository.

Three years ago ... diving with Snowbear ... she came out of the water and remarked ... "I love warm-water diving, no ice cream headache".

Thing is, what she was referring to as warm water was Puget Sound ... and the water temp at the time was 48 degrees ...

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

DOkie:
Was that including the wind chill factor?

I don't know if you were asking this in response to my post DOkie, although it appears so. I had to check my notes in my logbook to find out, and yes that would have been with the wind factored. This was in January of this year, the ambient temp was about -5 F, but there was a steady wind of 10-15mph gusting over 20. I hesitate to ever say a dive wasn't worth it (as long as no one gets hurt) but that one was questionable. I think the greater part of the enjoyment in such cases is just that mad glee you feel when doing something normal folks would call insane.

NWGratefulDiver:
Three years ago ... diving with Snowbear ... she came out of the water and remarked ... "I love warm-water diving, no ice cream headache".

Thing is, what she was referring to as warm water was Puget Sound ... and the water temp at the time was 48 degrees ...

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

Ice cream headache?? So that's whats been hurting me for the last 3 days on my scalp!! It started when I dove and got a little chilled...

fire_diver:
Just curious after my dives today. Have you ever dove in water that was so cold it actually hurt? I decided to leave my gloves in the car today, since the surface was about 56. Well, after crossing the second thermocline the water was so cold that my hands and lips hurt. After a few minutes they went numb, and I went back up. I never got the actual temp reading.

So, has ^you^ ever dove in water that was actually painful?

Comrade

Yes! Last year during my one and only dive in Puget Sound I had the same experience. When I got out of the water I couldn't move my thumbs for about 20 minutes. It was akward not having any usable opposable thumbs for a bit.

fire_diver:
Just curious after my dives today. Have you ever dove in water that was so cold it actually hurt? I decided to leave my gloves in the car today, since the surface was about 56. Well, after crossing the second thermocline the water was so cold that my hands and lips hurt. After a few minutes they went numb, and I went back up. I never got the actual temp reading.

So, has ^you^ ever dove in water that was actually painful?Comrade

I hate when that happens!

But that was before I started using a 2mm neoprene "ice cap" underhood and drygloves.

Now I'm warm as toast even in ice water! What a welcome change! :)

Give the "ice cap" underhood a try.

It leaves only a small portion of the lips exposed, so they stay much warmer, since they have so many blood vessels in them.

Also, your forehead is covered by the underhood.

Your mask goes over the ice cap itself.

There are several brands, but I'm using a Henderson ice cap. Here's a link:

http://tinyurl.com/38dpap

I use it for temps below 60 degrees. Love it!

Dave C

I have really enjoyed reading all the responses from everyone so far. Many of your suggestions won't work for me however. I neglected to specify in the OP that I dive wet. I made this dive using a Henderson polyolefin skin under a BARE 7mm full suit. I also use a full hood (its either 5 or 7mil, I can't remember), so most of my face is covered. I have a set of wetgloves, but like I said, the surface temps didn't warrant the use of them (for me). And 7mil boots keep the toes-ies warm.

My almost full report on this dive can be found in the mid-west muck divers section under "April Fools letra dive report" if anyone is bored enough to go read that.

I am shocked that so many people here regularly dive in water cold enough to numb exposed skin, then just continue on with the dive.

Comrade (cold) Stroke

fire_diver:
I have really enjoyed reading all the responses from everyone so far. Many of your suggestions won't work for me however. I neglected to specify in the OP that I dive wet. I made this dive using a Henderson polyolefin skin under a BARE 7mm full suit. I also use a full hood (its either 5 or 7mil, I can't remember), so most of my face is covered. I have a set of wetgloves, but like I said, the surface temps didn't warrant the use of them (for me). And 7mil boots keep the toes-ies warm.

My almost full report on this dive can be found in the mid-west muck divers section under "April Fools letra dive report" if anyone is bored enough to go read that.

I am shocked that so many people here regularly dive in water cold enough to numb exposed skin, then just continue on with the dive.

Comrade (cold) Stroke

I bought dry gloves after diving in the Puget Sound. :)

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom