Cold water diving

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

amascuba:
I bought dry gloves after diving in the Puget Sound. :)
Ok, I'm ignorant here. Can dry gloves be used with a wetsuit?

Comrade stroke

Yeah, water can get so cold it's actually painful, and you come back up with hands that don't work and lips that allow you to say only, "Bwah bu bee buh vah buh."

fire_diver:

Comrade stroke

You'd probably be able to seal the wrists and keep your hands dry, but you won't be able to pressurize them at depth, so you'll get squeezed. It still might work, though. But sealing off at your wrists might cut off the circulation, defeating the purpose.

fire_diver:

Comrade stroke

I dive dry. :)

fire_diver:
I have really enjoyed reading all the responses from everyone so far. Many of your suggestions won't work for me however. I neglected to specify in the OP that I dive wet. I made this dive using a Henderson polyolefin skin under a BARE 7mm full suit. I also use a full hood (its either 5 or 7mil, I can't remember), so most of my face is covered. I have a set of wetgloves, but like I said, the surface temps didn't warrant the use of them (for me). And 7mil boots keep the toes-ies warm.

You were pretty clear, that's why I only suggested you try the ice cap underhood. Your full hood covers most of your face, but the ice cap will cover those important areas near the lips and the lower forehead, the latter being where freezing cold sinuses get that "ice cream" headache! Maybe you haven't suffered that one yet! :)

fire_diver:
I am shocked that so many people here regularly dive in water cold enough to numb exposed skin, then just continue on with the dive.

Comrade (cold) Stroke

I'm kind of surprised, too; they're more rugged than I am.

I hate to be cold, but I hate even more when my fingers are too numb to function!

Dave C

You mean like this?
Did the pic show?

altitudemike:
You mean like this?
Did the pic show?

Your link would work better if everybody on ScubaBoard had access to your computer. :D

fire_diver:
Just curious after my dives today. Have you ever dove in water that was so cold it actually hurt? I decided to leave my gloves in the car today, since the surface was about 56. Well, after crossing the second thermocline the water was so cold that my hands and lips hurt. After a few minutes they went numb, and I went back up. I never got the actual temp reading.

So, has ^you^ ever dove in water that was actually painful?

Comrade

Where did you dive at, Firediver??

Back
Top Bottom