Cold water diving is a PITA

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

The solution here is to dive wet when you can......You'll also find that you will move more easily in the water and feel much sleeker.

This is our Plan B. We have dived in Monterey in wetsuits, but we got cold, very cold! But alot of that was the air temp when we got out. We surely could find some days when we could dive wet in Monterey and not get cold. But we'd like to get the Drysuit thing figured out, if we can.

---------- Post added April 1st, 2013 at 01:49 PM ----------

Try to operate the deflate button using your index finger, not your thumb. ..... As for locating the inflator, it should be held nearby your left chest d-ring is by bungee. And if you have to look for or fumble with the inflator, I think your corrugated hose is too long. Also, to deflate the wing using the deflator is usually during initial descent. Once in water, 90% of the time, venting is through rear dump.

Thanks for this. I think the index finger thing is better than what I had been doing. And we know that I do need a bungee for the hose. I do think that the hose is too short, not too long! But maybe after a few more tries it will start to come naturally -- or maybe it will take a couple years, as grf88 said!

My wife and I got up early, drove 4 hours total, spent $300 and had zero fun. ...//...So we got past the surf, got the fins on, swam out 30 yds or so and – couldn’t get down. Neither of us. ...//...

Update – Cold-water diving is *still* a PITA

Yesterday we drove for 4 hours, spent $600 on new equipment, $250 for rentals, 10 hours with Hepcat, and had no diving fun. ...//...

...//...The inability to make adjustments "on the fly" while wearing the harness with tanks/weight in place is a double-edged sword. ...//...

???

Not sure I understand what you're trying to say...

Private course. Controlled conditions. No surf. Pool.

IMHO, you are making it extremely hard for yourself. -and keying off of billt4sf's posts and likes, I'm just an annoyance here. That problem is easily solved.

:banghead:

And we know that I do need a bungee for the hose. I do think that the hose is too short, not too long!

Next time you'll bring the bungee. :) I think the hose is the right length - it was just getting away from you.

Try to operate the deflate button using your index finger, not your thumb. ..... As for locating the inflator, it should be held nearby your left chest d-ring is by bungee. And if you have to look for or fumble with the inflator, I think your corrugated hose is too long. Also, to deflate the wing using the deflator is usually during initial descent. Once in water, 90% of the time, venting is through rear dump.

Thanks for this. I think the index finger thing is better than what I had been doing. And we know that I do need a bungee for the hose. I do think that the hose is too short, not too long! But maybe after a few more tries it will start to come naturally -- or maybe it will take a couple years, as grf88 said!

---------- Post added April 1st, 2013 at 03:24 PM ----------

rossi pool is set up for scuba on monday nights 600 argelo st call Rex at sf rec dept. its your taxes

Hi Jim,

Is it this guy?

Rex BitengRecreation CoordinatorRex.Biteng@sfgov.org
No phone number was listed.

---------- Post added April 1st, 2013 at 03:35 PM ----------

As I suspected, Bamboo Reef will not allow us to use their pool without an instructor present -- which means $150. Too much.

If anyone knows of a pool we could get in, please let me know. We'll also then have to try to rent the drysuits....

Thanks,

Bill

Blue Water Aquatics let me putter around a pool for much less $ than that a year or so ago when I was thinking about returning to diving. I have dry-mouth issues and wanted to spend some time underwater breathing on a regulator to see how it would go, as well as check my trim. There were instructors around working with other students and I just swam in circles around them.

yes just got back from pool rossi pool its 35$ per night includes gear( tanks and wts.regs and bcs )

---------- Post added April 1st, 2013 at 11:08 PM ----------

you can use Rexs e mail hes good about that the city has inst. and dive masters there

This is our Plan B. We have dived in Monterey in wetsuits, but we got cold, very cold! But alot of that was the air temp when we got out. We surely could find some days when we could dive wet in Monterey and not get cold. But we'd like to get the Drysuit thing figured out, if we can.

There are a handful of things that will make you cold when diving wet. Water temperature is obvious, but the temps in Monterey don't rule it out. Surface temperature is also very important. The difference between a surface interval on a 70 degree day and a 40 degree day is massive. Depth is critical. If you dive wet in cold water keep your dives relatively shallow. Shallower is warmer. I've done many dives wet where I was really cold down deep, but after ascending to 30' or so I warmed up enough to dive for another 30-40 minutes. Good suits are also critical. Rental wetsuits tend to suck like an Electrolux and neoprene wears out with age and use. If you're were diving an old farmer John or a rental suit that's probably half the reason you were cold. Fit is extremely important too. Custom made suits don't cost much more and there are good suit makers in CA.

Finally, don't expect your wetsuit to be a drysuit substitute. If you use them on warm days for shallow dives you'll find that it makes your dive experience much more like a warm water diving experience, but if you dive to 100' in 45 degree water even the best wetsuit made will be very cold and you'll be freezing while your drysuit clad buddies are enjoying the dive.

There are a handful of things that will make you cold when diving wet. Water temperature is obvious, but the temps in Monterey don't rule it out. Surface temperature is also very important. The difference between a surface interval on a 70 degree day and a 40 degree day is massive. Depth is critical. If you dive wet in cold water keep your dives relatively shallow. Shallower is warmer. I've done many dives wet where I was really cold down deep, but after ascending to 30' or so I warmed up enough to dive for another 30-40 minutes. Good suits are also critical. Rental wetsuits tend to suck like an Electrolux and neoprene wears out with age and use. If you're were diving an old farmer John or a rental suit that's probably half the reason you were cold. Fit is extremely important too. Custom made suits don't cost much more and there are good suit makers in CA.

Finally, don't expect your wetsuit to be a drysuit substitute. If you use them on warm days for shallow dives you'll find that it makes your dive experience much more like a warm water diving experience, but if you dive to 100' in 45 degree water even the best wetsuit made will be very cold and you'll be freezing while your drysuit clad buddies are enjoying the dive.
:Dhttp://he is 100% right its a tool simi dry thatis fitted with extra rubber and a coachs jacket rocks​

Jim,

What is his email?

- Bill

See this post from above:

---------- Post added April 1st, 2013 at 03:24 PM ----------

Hi Jim,

Is it this guy?

Rex BitengRecreation CoordinatorRex.Biteng@sfgov.org
No phone number was listed.

---------- Post added April 1st, 2013 at 03:35 PM ----------

As I suspected, Bamboo Reef will not allow us to use their pool without an instructor present -- which means $150. Too much.

If anyone knows of a pool we could get in, please let me know. We'll also then have to try to rent the drysuits....

Thanks,

Bill

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom