Cold water can kill in many ways

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

DavidPT40

Contributor
Reaction score
I received this http://www.ybw.com/auto/newsdesk/20060313132245ywnews.html article in my email recently. It talks about the ways that cold water can kill people. Here is a portion of it

an 18-year-old canoeist capsized into 50 degree lake water, and sank to the bottom before a rescuer towing the canoe could rescue him. He was wearing jeans, a shirt and no PFD.
- nine elite marines, water survival instructors, capsized in 36o water wearing sweatsuits and no PFDs. None of them survived the attempted 100 yard swim to shore.
- sixteen (16) Danish fishermen jumped into the icy waters of the North Sea when their trawler sank in a storm. They were in the water for a 2 - 3 hours before being rescued. They walked across the deck of the rescue vessel and went down into the galley to warm up. Each and every one collapsed and died in the galley.
- an average adult person has a 50/50 chance of surviving a 50 yard swim in 50o F. water.
- a 50 year old person in 50o F water has a 50/50 chance of surviving for 50 minutes

I've had some experience with cold water, but I certainly didn't know it was this dangerous.

LOL, Drysuit.

Once you get below 70 feet even in the dead of summer it wont be above 50, make that 45 in lake erie, or any of the other great lakes.

There is an account in "Deep Survival" describing what it is like to die this way, you can't move your arms and legs after about 5 minutes, if I remember right.

50F, thats.. 10c...
Ive taken baths in that but its sure as hell not plesant at all..
I dont make much sense of the 50f for 50 minutes and 50f 50 yard swims tho. Let me assure you I wont use 50 minutes to swim 50 yards in 50f water :p

The good part about bathing in waters that cold is of course to get out of it and into clean, warm clothing afterwards. Now thats refreshing :D
36f (2,2c) water I sure wouldnt want to get close to without a drysuit.

I've heard about "you people"

isn't there a name for that?

catherine96821:
I've heard about "you people"

isn't there a name for that?
You mean the ice bathers?
Im not quite that hardcore..
Theid cut a hole and jump into the 30f water with a smile on their face..
Or do you just mean Norwegians? :p

I think the most important thing is how to prepare for cold water. I had a chance to get into an ice water only with a pant and shoes. It was OK for about 30 min. I had to run about two hours before jumping into the water.

In addition, what do you think about this guy?

ExploreDivePA1507_468x317.jpg

Article: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/pages/live/articles/live/live.html?in_article_id=468256&in_page_id=1811&ito=1490

I have to admit, I fell into a cold stream in April with the air temperature around 50 F. I was wearing underarmor and a nylon running suit (the real kind, not the stylish type). I also had on a life jacket. The water wasn't dehabilitating. In fact it was kind of fun trying to catch back up with the raft.

But then again, on a few deep dives without a hood, the water was excruciatingly painful on my head and ears.

Back
Top Bottom