Cold water can kill in many ways

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Well...if a person survives the initial shock of the cold water (I'm told the shock is severe enough to cause the heart to go bananas) it all depends.

We've had stories of people swim some amazing distances and times with little or no cold water protection. On the other hand there have been people who have expired very shortly after immersion. I suspect a lot of the result depends on the Blubber Factor and the Mental Attitude.

Of course any water temp colder than body temp is by definition cold water. So, it is just a matter of time before a person's body is overwhelmed.

Cold water is a tricky mistress, as is the hypothermia which follows it. Having been through multiple first aid and rescue courses, as well as cold weather training, it amazes me how well our bodies can adapt to cold, and how our attempts to treat hypothermia can kill.

For example, those fishermen brought up in the beginning of the thread. I don't have the details, but it sounds a lot like a common problem - warming the extremities before the core. When you become hypothermic your body limits blood flow to your extremities, in an attempt to keep your core warm. However, rub or warm those extremities and you cause dilation of their blood vessels, and all that cold blood to floods back into your core.

Bam, you're done for.

Bryan

DavidPT40:
Hey Hoosier, how'd you get a scientific diving certification?

It is an academic program through university or institute.

AAUS is a good start to check out...

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom