cold salt water and sidemount

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

One solution that I have heard of, not seen nor tried, is to use the Nomad with 8 lbs weight on the back and 12 lbs on the belt and using 12 litre 232 bar steel tanks. Don't know if it really works.

Maybe some of the insulation could be replaced with an electrical heating vest and double hood?

I have the same excact problem: how to become negative.

One solution that I have heard of, not seen nor tried, is to use the Nomad with 8 lbs weight on the back and 12 lbs on the belt and using 12 litre 232 bar steel tanks. Don't know if it really works.

Maybe some of the insulation could be replaced with an electrical heating vest and double hood?

I have the same excact problem: how to become negative.

What you're suggesting seems to be an excessive amount of weight, unless you're using a neopre drysuit...

What you're suggesting seems to be an excessive amount of weight, unless you're using a neopre drysuit...

... or a shell drysuit with suitable undergarments for 30F water. My current single tank setup consists of a 9 lbs (empty, in water) steel tank and 22 lbs of lead. If I only take 18 lbs of lead, I need to swim down, and staying at the bottom becomes more difficult. Anyway... it's kind of extreme, I guess.

You would likely be able to loose some lead with the addition of another steel cylinder, if sidemounting.

I dive year around in the great lakes region. During the winter, I wear a double layered polypro two-piece and a weazle extreme plus over that, in a fusion drysuit. 12 -14 lbs of lead in the nomad weight plate is enough. My cylinders are worthington hp100s.

got the same problem as subcooled, 32-34F salt water, neoprene drysuit with eavy underlayers = 36-38lbs on single 80AL

backpocket is a great idea for sidemounting but since i will use it as a backmount as well, i prefer weights pocket.. don't know how it's will feel with 2 sidemount bottles and weights pocket.. any trouble to get acces to the pockets? or unbalanced effects ?

I finaly bought a diverite transpac with a rec wing and dropping pocket weights for a big deal, i will order the buttplate soon and begin searching for 2 reg or modify mine and buy the missing parts!

You would likely be able to loose some lead with the addition of another steel cylinder, if sidemounting.

I dive year around in the great lakes region. During the winter, I wear a double layered polypro two-piece and a weazle extreme plus over that, in a fusion drysuit. 12 -14 lbs of lead in the nomad weight plate is enough. My cylinders are worthington hp100s.

... add about 6 lbs for salt water ...

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom