Cold in TX, frozen equipment?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

The last time my gear had ice on it, I was wearing it. When I'm done it's hung up in my heated shop to dry. I doubt that cold could effect tanks. If there is water in the wrong place in your BC that could lead to problem as ice expands as it freezes. It could concieveably ruin valves or burst hoses I would think. Best of luck

Jim

chrispete:
OK, we normally don't have to deal with extended freezes here in TX but it's cold right now and will be through tomorrow. My wife and I's gear is in the covered bed of our truck and we didn't think about it until just now. The expected low tonight is 14*. Having never dealt with frozen gear, should we worry about the equipment (I'm a bit worried about the steel tanks getting brittle, my wife is worried about her BC due to possible water inside.) Any ideas from you guys who live in these conditions normally - moving the gear inside will be almost impossible as there is a layer of ice on the stairs leading up to the apartment?

Thanks!

Chris:frosty:

Uh Oh, my trucks made of steel with rubber wheels and it's in the parking lot, outside right now!

Sorry, couldn't help myself. Well gotta chip off the ice and drive home from work now.

We are supposed to have only a couple days, (nights), of sub-freezing weather and then back to the usual rollercoaster ride that is Texas weather. I wouldn't think that a day or two would hurt things. I might worry about o-rings and valves if we were going to have an extended cold spell.

Plan ahead next time and get it upstairs and inside before the precip starts. Although most equipment is made to withstand extream temps, I would think that keeping it in a more controlled enviroment would extend the life of it.

sharky60:
We are supposed to have only a couple days, (nights), of sub-freezing weather and then back to the usual rollercoaster ride that is Texas weather. I wouldn't think that a day or two would hurt things. I might worry about o-rings and valves if we were going to have an extended cold spell.

Plan ahead next time and get it upstairs and inside before the precip starts. Although most equipment is made to withstand extream temps, I would think that keeping it in a more controlled enviroment would extend the life of it.
I would worry more about the heat than the cold getting to your gear. Our stuff goes from cold temps, sometimes sub zero, through fast 5 to 30 minute warm up's and into the water on a regular basis. Then into the house to dry out then right back out into the car. Don't sweat a couple of days. We go through this from mid October sometimes all the way through April and sometimes into May.

Soem of my gear has done this for 29 years 2 months and is still fine.

Gary D.

theskull:
Very important! . . . Don't put your tongue on any of the metal parts while they are frozen.
Oh go ahead and do it. Bet you never have before. :)

I think your biggest worry is the ice on the steps to the apartment. You south state folks don't know how to live with ice. :frosty:

Put lawn fertilizer on the steps and try to get them clean, or use kitty liter for better traction. :ice:

DandyDon:
Oh go ahead and do it. Bet you never have before. :)

I think your biggest worry is the ice on the steps to the apartment. You south state folks don't know how to live with ice. :frosty:

Put lawn fertilizer on the steps and try to get them clean, or use kitty liter for better traction. :ice:

Important safety tip on the kitty litter.... Do NOT use the clumping kind!

mbs:
Good suggestion - and go ahead and spring for the NEW liter - not the box of stuff your cat has finished with. :)

mbs:
Or the ones that look like Almomd Roca. Save them for the the candy dish. :D

Gary D.

Wildcard:
Old wives tale, go ahead and put your tongue on a frozen steel tank, it taste great! LOL...
Should be no problems, 14 is not that cold but you might want to baby the rubber stuff, it might crack.

Baby the rubber stuff??? :) I thought rubber stuff prevents baby(ing)??? :)

I have some experience with the cold, Just bring the BC's and regs in the house. If you have ice in the BC and you bend it you may put a hole in it. I there is any ice in the regs they may not work. The tanks will be ok, but if they are really cold, bare skin can stick to them.

I didnt know Texas got that cold, we have 55 right now in Anchorage.:D

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom