Cold in TX, frozen equipment?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

chrispete

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
# of dives
1000 - 2499
OK, we normally don't have to deal with extended freezes here in TX but it's cold right now and will be through tomorrow. My wife and I's gear is in the covered bed of our truck and we didn't think about it until just now. The expected low tonight is 14*. Having never dealt with frozen gear, should we worry about the equipment (I'm a bit worried about the steel tanks getting brittle, my wife is worried about her BC due to possible water inside.) Any ideas from you guys who live in these conditions normally - moving the gear inside will be almost impossible as there is a layer of ice on the stairs leading up to the apartment?

Thanks!

Chris:frosty:

Dang, Chris....keep that cold stuff on your side of the state, would ya?!?! :D

It's supposed to freeze here tonight and tomorrow but just barely. Sorry, I can't help with your question.....

heh, we're definately looking forward to that nice warm weather and water in Roatan :wink: Glad you guys are only getting a small bit of the weather, it's been nothing but freezing rain since 5pm or so up here and isn't going to stop until mid-morning tomorrow.

Brrr...my gear is cold! help!

My gear has been frozen several times with no ill effects. How long has your gear been out of the water? Did ya kinda shake it off? I'd bet it will be ok. I can not imagine 14 degrees hurting a steel tank.
BTW....the high was 14f here today. Supposed to get below 0 tonight.

Joe

The gear's dry, been out of water a couple of weeks. Thanks for the info. Below zero, brr.

Very important! . . . Don't put your tongue on any of the metal parts while they are frozen.

theskull

Don't worry. No problem.

theskull:
Very important! . . . Don't put your tongue on any of the metal parts while they are frozen.

theskull

Don't worry. No problem.
Old wives tale, go ahead and put your tongue on a frozen steel tank, it taste great! LOL...
Should be no problems, 14 is not that cold but you might want to baby the rubber stuff, it might crack.

Your gear's dry and in an enclosed space - it'll be fine. Really.

If you're worried about it, you could go diving out at Lake Travis tomorrow just to make sure it's all still operational.

C'mon, it'd be refreshing! What's your peace of mind worth anyway?

Don't worry about it.

Right now my gear is sitting in the rig at 5 below. It can go from Sub zero temps to as high as the 80's dozens of times a week. It has gone through this for year after year and we have never had a problem with anything.

Just warm it up a little before you try and use it.

Gary D.

Back
Top Bottom