Cold galvanizing paint doesn't bond

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

SaltyFrog

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
So I usually use this to paint over the hydro dates.
Nicer looking and rust proof.

I have a scubapro, it bonds fairly well:
upload_2021-9-11_16-33-47.png

I just picked up a Faber tank. And I just can't get the first layer to bond.
It just wipes right off no matter how long I wait (30min +):

upload_2021-9-11_16-34-33.png

What am I missing?
Should i sand more paint off? (The hydro date is barely legible as it...)

I just give it a couple shots of white enamel paint.

Did you clean and prep with a solvent? There must be some sort of contamination.

The tank is gloss, use gloss.

James

Did you clean and prep with a solvent? There must be some sort of contamination.

The tank is gloss, use gloss.

James

not with a solvent but did clean it pretty good.

sanded off plenty of paint
washed with soap
wiped with rubbing alcohol

Still didn't stick...
3 layers wiped right off, both from the steel underneath, and off the existing paint
I'm wondering if the paint isn't compatible with whatever Faber is using on this tank.

Someone suggested to use nail polish. Maybe I'll should try that.

Hmm, you know that some soap and medicinal alcohol is probably not the best paint prep and the soap alone could be the issue. The cold galvanize ought to adhere, if it does not I am not sure that the Rustoleum will either, for the same reason. But, give it a shot (pun).

James

The paint on that tank is a two part linear polyurethane topcoat, very tough stuff and no pores for any other paint to grip into/onto. The paint surface is too hard and too slick for anything to stick.
You either need to scuff the area you intend to paint or use something fairly adhesive like nail polish or other lacquer based paint like paint pen.
Ask the hydro shops what they use when they brush touch hydro stamps. I’ve never had any of their stamps rust enough to be of any concern.
I’ve seen red, black, white, yellow, etc.
They might just spray some rattle can paint like Rustoleum or something into a small cup and brush that on. The only thing that needs to be coated is any bare metal in and around the actual numbers.

Yeah it takes a day or two to fully settle but in 30~60min this should at least be dry to touch.

The way this feels to me, it's going to rub right off tomorrow.

I'll give nail polish a try. Thanks for the tip.

I never understood why many hydro shops don't touch this off.
It's ugly, may rust and It's not like it's super expensive to do fix it up.
And this shop, why can't they type the year clearly, it looks like a "13" while it's a "18". Pretty sure I'll need to convince shops to do the vip every year.

Ok now I'm just ranting.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom