cold blooded diver- what wetsuit addition?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

opalobsidian

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
Hey everybody!

I just got back from diving Grand Turk in water temps averaging 83 F, wearing about 6mm of protection, and still get chilly at the end of the second dive! I took a lot of poop for wearing so much (a 1mm skin under a 5mm suit) but a gal's gotta do what a gal's gotta do! It was so helpful to my trim and air consumption not to be constantly fighting with my body's wanting to curl up in a ball and shiver!

It was so nice to be warm and now I am spoiled and want to be warm all the time.

My question is, for locations with water cooler than the 80's, do you think I should invest in a 7mm, or just get some sort of something to put on top of my other 6mm of layers?

My 5mm is already so tight (short in the crotch) that I dare not try and fit something else underneath.

Thanks so much for your non-judgemental advice!
Pamela:wink:

Wow! In 83 degree water I would be wearing a skin. I guess from your location in your profile we should know that you are a warm weather person!

Were you wearing a hood? A lot of people think that if they feel cold in their bodies a hood won't help, but a lot of heat escapes through your head and it makes an amazing difference. That would certainly be a first addition.

A hooded vest would give you another layer on your torso, but also more buoyancy.

After that, you are probably in dry suit territory.

Get a drysuit. Seriously.

I'm thinking about getting this semi-dry suit....should work better than a 7mil wet, but not as warm as a dry suit....but also without the cost and complexity of a dry suit either. I was looking at these at my LDS and was very impressed w/ the design and build quality.
Good luck whatever you decide! My Girlfriend is not so fond of cold water either. I'm think we both may end up w/ one of these semidry suits...

http://www.waterproof-gear.com/taurus.asp

Get a drysuit. Trilam. It's as hot or as cool as you want it to be.

Thanks so much for the info!

And now, a little more interrogation regarding the semi-dry suit....

$$$?

Urine flow-ablility?

Is this the same sort of wetsuit being complained about in another current post?

Thanks again!
Pamela

A semi-dry suit is a wetsuit, with seals at the wrists and ankles. That's all.

opalobsidian, Pamela,

I'd suggest going dry. A semi-dry will give you an edge but the cost can be on par with an entry level drysuit.

A trilaminate or even a crushed neoprene drysuit will let you adjust the insulation through a wide range of conditions.

A semi-dry being just that will not allow you to wear a "diaper" for the relief issue nor will it allow nature to do the flushing.

If need be finding a used drysuit or rental to try is far more likely.

Pete

my vote is for the hooded vest

A wise instructor once said to me, "semi-dry suits are semi-great".

Your profile says you are a vacation diver. If that's the case and you're not doing 100+ dives a year, Bare has an entry level bi-lam for about $650-700 WITH and undergarment. Most shops will let you upgrade to the 200 or even the Polar Extreme undergarment for the difference which is about $50.

Honestly, if you're that cold in 83 degree water, I wouldn't consider anything less. By contrast, I dove 82-83 degrees this past summer in a 2 mil shortie and found it to be more than adequate. I have very little body fat so I'm generally cold well before the other 3 guys I dive with.

Damn! 6mm in 83 degrees? Are you sure you weren't overheating and it triggered some sort of natural cooling response?:wink:

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom