Trip Report CocoView Resort May 8-15, 2021

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Oh, another diver e-mailed me a couple of photos from the trip.

Our group aboard the Coco II. (I'm in the middle with the mask on my forehead. Yes, I do that...). You see the center well we can come up when reboarding.
View attachment 660083

And this shot was taken by the bar tender at a place called Hole in the Wall we stopped at one day.

View attachment 660085
Captain Marcos is on the far left, and our guide Ruben is 4th from the left, wearing a yellow towel. If you stop here, be careful messing with the capuchin monkey...someone said it bit her (must've been a nip; she didn't seem upset).

I believe I see a couple of dive friends on your boat Anita and Dawn

King of the trip report @drrich2

Hi Richard,

Nice to see that you got in a good dive trip early in your retirement.

Coco View must have been fully occupied or nearly so. The dining room appears pretty full. How many divers were on the Coco II? It looks to hold quite a few, perhaps wasn't run at capacity. Did everyone go with the guide for the first part of the dive?

the boats can hold 22 divers but they do not put more than 18 max most of the time unless the resort is full or there is a big group, only12 divers on board, they try to split divers between the 5 boats

View attachment 659977

oh, you found it!
Bravo.
No small thing.

Orange ball corellamorph

There are six or more additional hidden treasures within 70’ of that critter. Those other six things that you have yet to find? That is the reason other visitors become “CocoNuts”.

There is so much to see. Don’t explain to others how to find it. (an all but impossible instruction) Make it the badge of a good hunter, which you truly are. You pressed the shutter button at precisely the correct instant. They are more skittish than a White Tail Deer. Let’s just say, go look on the wreck, in “the dark”. :wink:

These guys were waving, just 22 feet above you.

F93CA49D-0749-4E91-862B-5C4C3E4971DD.jpeg

Awesome review, Im Going to Roatan for 30 days, at the end of June and staying in Sandy bay on the north side , but I know that I will be making a trip south and trying to add some to the list. Does Coco view, accept divers that are not there at their resort. I am planning to get 10 dives packages from different shops during the month. Your report sold me to make a few dives with them during the month if they do. Again Well done sir.

@drrich2 , thank you sir !!!
I always enjoy reading your reviews, it was better than tripadvisor, google, even their own website!!
More information and photos than any magazine article that I've ever read!!
Sounds like a great trip!!

An impressive job of capturing some of the nuances of CoCo View after your first visit. Your pictures show how this place gets the reputation as the divers summer camp (even if you don't go in summer).

Does Coco view, accept divers that are not there at their resort.

I don't think they do. On their Rates page, if you scroll way down near the bottom, you can find this blurb:

"Cruise Ship & Day Guests: Coco View is a dedicated dive resort catering to the guests that have chosen CoCo View as their vacation destination. As a common practice we do not accept cruise ship, walk-in or day guests. This allows us to focus our resources on our registered guests, many whom have commented that they appreciate the privacy and security that this policy provides."

Given that they're prone to book up, I don't know how they'd react to someone wanting to book, oh, say, 2 or 3 days stay. It might be worth asking them directly.

The logistics of an off-site person diving with them could be a hassle. The boats don't go around picking people up at other places, like some Cozumel dive op.s do at various hotel/resort piers. CCV is on a little 'islet' that you reach by boat from the main island of Roatan, so you can't drive all the way to it. The boats often have fairly short rides to dive sites (the longest I heard all week was anticipated to be 30 minutes, another was 20, but most were pretty short). It's not like Cozumel, where a dive boat might head a good ways south most days - passing various hotel/resort piers.

Another great trip report @drrich2 - you nailed it. Having been to CocoView myself, I would say your report was extremely spot on and will be most helpful for future researchers. Thanks for all of the effort!

I am en route now to Miami to board the Juliet tomorrow. I won't have internet, so unable to do daily trip posts. I will log my thoughts daily and make 1 post when back on land next weekend. All the best!

Back
Top Bottom