Cocos Animal Seasons

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

J Easy

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
I remember seeing a site before that had a list of which animals could be seen during certain times of the year at different dive locations around the world. I can't find it again for the life of me! So my question is what are the seasons in Cocos? I'm looking at getting on a trip at the end of September and want to know if is a good time to go or if I should wait a bit. Thanks

September should be a great time for you to go. Generally July through October is the best time to go.

I've been leading trips to the Cocos since 92 and next year's trip, which is already half full, will be my 12th time there. There is no question in my mind that your July dates are the better ones. I am not saying this just because my next trip being led there is July 29-Aug.9th, 2011 but because I will only go there during the best times which is Costa Rica's rainy season from late May through Early Sept. It is the rains that bring in the nutrients which bring in the fish which attract the sharks. The Cocos are known for their large schools of hammerheads. The white tips and marble rays are pretty much there year round but not the hammers. There is plenty of info on my website at:
www.worldfilmsandtravel.com and here is a film shot from just one trip in the summer of 2008: http://vimeo.com/2409993 on Vimeo Of all the places around the world I have dove, for large pelagic marine animals the Cocos are my favorite but I would not consider taking people there during the winter and spring months. Its not that you wouldn't have a great time, but you wouldn't see the huge schools of hammers and probably not the whale sharks either.
I have 10 spots left for next years trip, but even if you don't go with me, feel free to email me with any questions or concerns you may have and I will try to help.
Steve Douglas

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom