Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Konrad harmon

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
I need a place for my family to live while I work from March 23rd ish to June 26th or so. I want to find somewhere that will support my addiction.

Up in the PNW there is a house we call the yellow house that has a compressor in it. That would be my ideal but realize that might not be in the company budget.

Any travel, dive locations, dive shops, dive instructors, etc. recommendations welcome.

I tried to find somewhere that would fit but everything seems to be geared for high class living around the space center not scuba vacation. Maybe my search terms are off or something.

Cocoa is not known for its diving. When I lived in Florida, most people from Cocoa Beach that I knew drove south to dive in Jupiter if they wanted to dive in salt water. I'm sure there are private boats that go way off-shore to dive on spearfishing trips from Cocoa or Merritt Island, but the only charters I know of start in the Jupiter area. There may be others north of Palm Beach County, I just don't know them. An operator I like is Jupiter Dive Center.

If the conditions are right, you can beach dive in Ft Pierce, Vero and Sebastian which are all a bit closer to Cocoa. If you search, you can find some info on beach diving in those locations.

....that would fit but everything seems to be geared for high class living ....

Remember those dates are right around 'Spring Break' time and rentals are all sky high. You might try going just 20 minutes south of Cocoa and look at Melbourne FL. It's still near beaches but it's not touristy & pricey. You'll find better rental deals there.

For diving, Melbourne is just a bit over 1 hour drive from Jupiter which is going to be your best reliable diving for viz and reefs. If you are bringing tanks or need rentals, Hatts Diving has been in Melbourne for decades and is a well known shop with great service.

I will be working at Cape Canaveral so my commute options are limited but I do get to choose where I go. My commute needs to be less than if I were staying in Orlando which seems to be the gold standard for staying around the cape with enough food/entertainment to be acceptable.

I am hoping that this will be a road trip and I will bring all my gear and tanks. Are there any dive clubs around Melbourne? I wouldn't mind fresh diving too. I just need a regular drowning to make my troubles all disappear.

I've also always gone to Jupiter (or further south). However, there are several dive shops just outside of Canaveral (for example, harbor heights). That probably means there is somewhere to dive in the area. I recommend you google it, then call one or two of the dive shops and ask about the local diving scene.

Fishing & Diving Center: (321) 783-3477
American Divers International: (321) 453-0600

About 45 minutes south of Canaveral is Melbourne, FL. There seems to be a plethora of dive shops in Melbourne, so there's probably some diving worth doing around there.

https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom