Cobra computer.......

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

dvr4lyf

Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
I have a Suunto "Cobra" & I love it!!!!! 2 questions I have are for anyone who owns a Cobra.

1: How can you delete dives already recorded in your computer?? I was told you could'nt. I worked for a pool company doing underwater repairs and I have 65 dives logged but only have 15 "real" dives.

2: Anyone had any problems?

Thanks in advance!!

Safe diving!!!

dvr4lyf:
I have a Suunto "Cobra" & I love it!!!!! 2 questions I have are for anyone who owns a Cobra.

1: How can you delete dives already recorded in your computer?? I was told you could'nt. I worked for a pool company doing underwater repairs and I have 65 dives logged but only have 15 "real" dives.

2: Anyone had any problems?

Thanks in advance!!

Safe diving!!!

1. You cant. when i download i just deleat all the short dives. but next time i download they pop up agean. ohh well
2. none realy nice computer

You cannot delete dives fromthe cobra. This is a feature. The cobra will only hold so many dives and then it will roll them off the end so it really isn't a big deal.

The cobra is nice. It is conservative but I think that is a good thing and I like the fact that you can get all of your information in one place. I have upgraded to a D9 and I like this for the same reason. There are a few really nice features on the D9 (deep stops, abililty to modify the conservatism of the computer, wrist mount) but these come at a pretty high price. For the price I don't think you can beat the cobra.

fishfood:
1. You cant. when i download i just deleat all the short dives. but next time i download they pop up agean. ohh well
2. none realy nice computer

Don't delete, Ignore them. High light the dive you don't want on your downloaded profile, high light it and ignore. It won't download again.

Do not do this to a real dive or it will dissapper.

Well it seems your first question has been answered a few times so I’ll just put in my 2 cents for question 2.

I have yet to have a problem with my computer I really like it, and yea it is conservative, but I agree with progressweasel in that conservative isn’t a bad thing. I’d rather lose a few mins off every dive than spend a lot of hrs in a chamber. (I’m not saying that more liberal computers will get you bent, I just like the safety of my cobra)

I hated my cobra and finally sold it. The software was horrible. Just so static.

Al Mialkovsky:
The software was horrible. Just so static.

I'll second that sentiment. In addition to issues posted
here, I was reviewing a dive from a couple of weeks ago with the DM software and it indicates that I blew off 7 minutes of deco. It also says I went several minutes at depth without my air pressure changing. It's possible that the download was corrupted. I'll look into it further and post what I discover.

I don't totally disagree with you Al, I'm not the biggest fan of the software either, but I bought a Uwatec. After working with the software. Put it back in the box. Any one looking?

dherbman:
I'll second that sentiment. In addition to issues posted
here, I was reviewing a dive from a couple of weeks ago with the DM software and it indicates that I blew off 7 minutes of deco. It also says I went several minutes at depth without my air pressure changing. It's possible that the download was corrupted. I'll look into it further and post what I discover.

The sample times of the computer are shorter than the sample times for storing your profile data to memory (for downloading later). The dive computer is calculating your tissue saturation based upon the actual profile data. SDM is attempting to simulate your Cobra's calculation based upon a much smaller and granular profile sample.

As a result, when you get close (subjective definition) to NDL limits with the Cobra, the computer may calculate that you are within the limit, but SDM may show it as a deco obligation.

I have never been too concerned with the deco information generated by SDM as it is a simulation of the Cobra, not the Cobra itself. The primary feature of the software is that it allows me to log my dive and review my profile for 1) shape and 2) ascent rate violations. These are important to me as they are skills that I can develop as a diver, i.e. improve the profile of my dive and control my ascent rate to avoid "undeserved" (or whatever they are called these days) hits. I cannot convince SDM that I was a good boy on the dive, so I don't let it worry me too much :wink: . Given that it is a simulation, the tissue saturation graph and deco information is interesting, but not critical (to me, at least).

The issue with the air pressure is interesting. I will have a look at my profiles and see if I have had a similar issue. I am wondering, though, whether this information is calculated/interpolated from the download data or actually downloaded from the Cobra. I'll check it out.

Ok, I'm back (that was quick!). I checked out this site for the protocol, and it appears that the air consumption is calculated (only starting pressure and end pressure is transferred). So it looks like it may be a bug in SDM. Maybe.

Cheers,

Andrew

Average SAC for the dive is calculated : (((Tank volume/Working pressure)*(beginning pressure-ending pressure))/dive time)/absolute atmospheres), but the sampling records depth, elapsed time and pressure at each sampling. You can see this in the profile tab. On the dive I refer to, depth changes from sample to sample, but air pressure does not.

The DM software uses the samples to simulate the profile and calculate NDL, ascent rates and such. While there will be discrepencies between real time and extrapolated calculations,they will not amount to the 7 minute obligation the software shows.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom