Cobra 3 vs Nitek Duo/Trio

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

jduncan

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
I am looking for opinions on a mutli-gas computer. I currently have a Cobra I and I like it. I am in need of a computer capable of an underwater gas switch, with full featured decompression plans. I am considering both the Nitek Duo/Trio/N2iition, and the Cobra 3.

If I get the Nitek, I would likely keep the current Corba I and use in gauge mode, or for backup, etc. If I get the Cobra 3 I will sell the old Cobra.

Are there any experiences with both? Either?

I have read that technical divers don't like the Cobra algorithms b/c they are too conservative and cost many more minutes in deco.

Thanks

J

If I get the Nitek, I would likely keep the current Corba I and use in gauge mode, or for backup, etc. If I get the Cobra 3 I will sell the old Cobra.
Why does the disposition of the Cobra depend on what you buy next? What not keep it for back up, or sell it, no matter WHAT you buy? It seems odd that that what happens to the first one depends on the replacement.

Well, because the Nitek computer is wrist mount. I don't need two air integrated cobras.

The thought was that I would keep the Cobra I have if I got the Nitek - use the nitek when I am technical diving and use the Cobra when I am recreational diving - like for lobsters.

I'm more interested in the opinions of the algorithm differences etc, between the two.

Well, because the Nitek computer is wrist mount. I don't need two air integrated cobras.

The thought was that I would keep the Cobra I have if I got the Nitek - use the nitek when I am technical diving and use the Cobra when I am recreational diving - like for lobsters.
Oh, I see. I was thinking that as a "backup" you would have a second computer in case the first one crapped out - and in that case, I couldn't see why it would matter which computer the first computer was :)

But you now raise a different issue. If the Nitek will do fine for technical, it will be fine for recreational too. There isn't really any reason to switch to the Cobra for that purpose. If the goal of a second computer is not to have a "hot swap" available in case your main computer craps out, it seems like selling the Cobra is the way to go, no matter WHAT you buy. On the other hand, with new ones selling for $375, I don't see you getting much for a used one. Might be worth keeping around no matter what you buy. I dunno. :)

I'm more interested in the opinions of the algorithm differences etc, between the two.
I dunno anything about the Nitek - but as you pointed out, the Suunto is widely considered to be very conservative relative to other computers. If you are at all concerned about a computer being "too conservative" - I would stay the hell away from Suunto, that's for sure. :)

Good luck!
ND

The Nitek Duo uses a modified version of Buhlmann ZH-L16 and the Aladin Tec 2g uses Buhlmann ZH-L8 ADT. Dive Rite has waterproof tables available which match the Nitek algorithm and iDeco runs Buhlmann 16 too. The Suunto uses a proprietary algorithm which they call Suunto RGBM, but which is believed to be a Haldanian model with deep stops and other tweaks added. A true RGBM model requires a lot of computational horsepower. If you want a true bubble model, you'll have to spring for a Liquivision running V-Planner Live.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom