Cobalt 2 Power Adapter USB-C

How much would you pay for a USB-C power adapt?

• $0 - Exchange

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • $10 - Exchange

• $70 - New

• Total voters

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

bradb1982

New
Reaction score
# of dives
25 - 49
Hi I am frustrated with all of the different USB cables. I was wondering if anyone would be interested in getting a replacement charging adapter with a USB-C port on it. Since the hardware from atomic or vendors costs around $50 to keep the cost down it would be an exchange system, or something along those lines. The other option would be a brand new one with USB-C.
Thanks for the feedback!

Can you be more specific about what you are talking about? What does this have to do with the Cobalt 2?

Can you be more specific about what you are talking about? What does this have to do with the Cobalt 2?
Agree; OP, what are you looking for?
The Cobalt-2 has a plug-in charging adapter that needs to be powered with either an AC charger or with USB power. The adapter is about $40-50. I do not believe the adapter is made with a USB-C port on it, but @RonR surely knows.

1659286495850.png

The AC charger from Atomic is about $22.
1659286664293.png

The USB charging uses a standard cable: USB-A on one end, I'm not sure of the other end...it is either the older trapezoidal shaped USB-Mini-B or the newer more rounded USB-Micro-B on the other end. the photos of the cable look like Mini-B; the photo of the adapter looks like Micro-B. Apparently this is what you would like to be USB-C?
1659287424475.png
1659287696880.png
1659287445813.png

I don't think that anyone is going to make a new cable for a DC that has been obsolete for a long while.

The USB connector on the Cobalt adapter is the Mini-B standard. That adapter was designed well before USB-C was around. Each dive computer design is going to need its own charging/ communications adapter depending on the contacts, case design, and firmware capabilities. I don't think a new adapter for the Cobalt is going to happen.

I share the frustration, and then some, over the many types of USB connections. But it seems as if the most common is ending up to be USB-C, and that's what we will be using on our newer computers, even though we won't need many of its capabilities.

For the Cobalt A/C charger, any generic 5V charger (but NOT more than 6V) will work- you can buy ones with multiple plug sizes and adjustable polarity for less than $10. The Cobalt limits charging to a maximum of 1A, so any greater charging capacity is overkill.

Ron

Two pack of adapters is $7 on amazon. Then you can plug a usb-c cable into that cobalt box. If you're handy with electronics, I'm sure you could desolder the mini-b connector and put a usb-c connector on there in its place.

Two pack of adapters is $7 on amazon. Then you can plug a usb-c cable into that cobalt box. If you're handy with electronics, I'm sure you could desolder the mini-b connector and put a usb-c connector on there in its place.
These adapters look like a good idea. Soldering in a USB-C I don't think would be easy without an intermediary board, as the footprints are very different. Power & ground would get you charging, but not data transfer, which is needed for dive uploading and firmware updating.

Ron

These adapters look like a good idea. Soldering in a USB-C I don't think would be easy without an intermediary board, as the footprints are very different. Power & ground would get you charging, but not data transfer, which is needed for dive uploading and firmware updating.

Ron
Ah, I didn't realize he was moving data through it as well.

Gentlemen, I think we've been fooled.

After re-reading the original post, it sounds like maybe he's trying to SELL aftermarket chargers for the cobalt 2. Potentially taking old OEM adapters on trade? He hasn't been back on SB since making his first post to start this thread...

Gentlemen, I think we've been fooled.

After re-reading the original post, it sounds like maybe he's trying to SELL aftermarket chargers for the cobalt 2. Potentially taking old OEM adapters on trade? He hasn't been back on SB since making his first post to start this thread...
I'll bet you are right.
The 2-for-$7 adapters seems like the right answer,,,,

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom