Atomic Cobalt 2

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

doratheexplorer

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
I have an Atomic Cobalt 2. I received mine after my first Cobalt 1 flooded back in maybe 2015, and took my Cobalt 2 diving for maybe 30-40 dives until 2020. I'm not sure when or how, but last I remember it was working. Now it does not charge on power or usb cable. How do I fix this? Is there a way? I assume it's not under warranty anymore.

@Ron R might can help. I get that you have a '2.' From this old thread on the 1:

Cobalt 1 help: What to do if your battery is dead

It's noted: "To be clear for everyone else, this is only an issue with the Cobalt 1, pre 2014. Cobalt 2 computers have a built in reset function accessed by holding down the Back and Select buttons for at least 11 seconds. That enables a reset even if you charged a dead battery via USB."

I thought knowing how to do the reset might help?

I have an Atomic Cobalt 2. I received mine after my first Cobalt 1 flooded back in maybe 2015, and took my Cobalt 2 diving for maybe 30-40 dives until 2020. I'm not sure when or how, but last I remember it was working. Now it does not charge on power or usb cable. How do I fix this? Is there a way? I assume it's not under warranty anymore.
I'm assuming that you are just seeing a blank screen, not that the display just doesn't indicate charging.

Obvious things first, check the contacts on the Cobalt, the adapter, and the cables. Sounds as if you have tried both charging methods, so you may have covered this. Adapters can break, but it's unlikely that both sides would be broken.

We are seeing some batteries that have been left empty for a long while during covid that have trouble charging, or may have died entirely. Li-ion batteries don't like being left totally empty for long periods. It may just take a long time to charge initially- how long have you left this one on a charger? A new battery is an easy fix.

If you connect the USB adapter to a PC or Mac, as if you were uploading dives or updating firmware, then hold down the Back and Select buttons for at least 11 seconds, does the BOOTLOADER appear on the computer desktop? If so, I'd try updating the firmware following the instructions here: Cobalt Firmware Downloads - Atomic Aquatics

Very rarely a hard power reset (removing and re-installing the battery) may get a stuck Cobalt back up.

Keep me posted, and we should be able to get it back up and running.

Ron

I tried the 11 second reset and tried it for about 30 seconds, but it is a Cobalt 2 so it didn't work. I did clean all the contacts with iso alcohol. But as I was typing this, I just tried the usb to the computer thing and got bootloader popup!!! I'm going to try firmware now.

Okay I just followed the steps online but I still can't get it to turn on. But it definitely took the drag and drop firmware.

"The screen on your Cobalt 2 will remain dark for a few moments while the update completes, then the screen will come on and show the time/date screen. If you do not see the time/ date screen, first disconnect the Cobalt from the adapter, then press both the “ENTER BUTTON” and the “BACK BUTTON” simultaneously for at least 11 seconds to manually reset."

This is the part that isn't working for me.

OK, that's a very good sign. The Cobalt is running, and took the updated firmware, but the screen is not turning on at all, correct?

There are a couple of things that could cause this:
One possibility is that the battery is completely kaput. Have you tried waking it while it is connected to A/C power via the adapter? You should be able to power the Cobalt from the adapter even if the battery is missing.
Another possibility is that the buttons- either the Select or the Back button- are not working, meaning the Cobalt is not getting the wake signal. This could be due to bad magnets in the keypad or to a failure of the reed switch on the PCB. Both are relatively easy fixes, though replacing the reed switch requires opening the case. A much less likely possibility would be if the display connector has dislodged.

After the Cobalt has been sitting for at least 5 minutes with no button presses (i.e. is in sleep mode), try dipping the front end in water to see if it wakes to the dive screen. Of course it won't do this if the battery is completely dead. But if the problem is the buttons not working it should wake from the wet contacts. It should then be obvious if a button is not working when you try to navigate. Give this a shot and let me know what you see.

It would also help diagnosis to know what the serial # is- that tells me when the Cobalt was made, and what version of the PCB it has.

Ron

Sorry for the delay. Here's what I've tried:

1: Does not wake on a/c power

2. Tried water method in sink and on a tank in a bathtub.

How do I find the serial?

@doratheexplorer

In case he doesn't check back on this thread, you can get his attention by using the 'at' sign with his username like I did (so like this - @Ron R ), or quote part of one of his posts in yours.

Richard.

Sorry for the delay. Here's what I've tried:

1: Does not wake on a/c power

2. Tried water method in sink and on a tank in a bathtub.

How do I find the serial?
OK, I'm assuming the Cobalt did not wake from sleep when the contacts were wet, so suspicion goes to the battery or the charger/ adapter. If it were just the buttons the wet contacts should have awakened it.
If you have access to another Cobalt you could see if your adapter/ charger/ cable system is able to charge another unit as a means of testing the charging setup.

I'd remove the battery door and take a look at the battery. Try unplugging the battery for a few seconds and re-inserting it onto the three pins in the battery compartment. Instructions for removing the battery are here: BatteryReplace.pdf
The battery compartment is sealed from the rest of the electronics, there is a small PCB that fits onto three pins.

Let me know what you see and if resetting the battery wakes the Cobalt.

Ron

Back
Top Bottom