CO Poisoning Question

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Years ago we had back-to-back cases involving vehicles with pushbutton starts that were inadvertently left running in garages.

I can relate. We have accidently walked away from our 2019 vehicle still running in parking lots because it is so quiet. It would be simple enough to program it to go into ready mode or stop the engine when the fob gets out of range. I wouldn't mind an option to configure it to lock the doors at the same time.

Based on this discussion I am heading to the Brico store (hardware store) on my way home from work to purchase a CO detector (or 2).

-Z

Based on this discussion I am heading to the Brico store (hardware store) on my way home from work to purchase a CO detector (or 2).

-Z
I have this overwhelming urge to scream "It's about time!" Glad you're getting some. Get at least one for each bedroom and maybe others for near fire sources, garages. I like the plug-in with battery backup, but at least get battery powered, and read the directions about alerts, end-of-live warnings, etc.

Reactions: Zef

-Z

Built-in hard-wired CO detectors have been required since the 2009 building codes in the US, along with smoke detectors. Many jurisdictions require CO and smoke alarms (not necessarily hard-wired) be installed when homes are remodeled or sold. Consider them a wise investment for now and in the future.

I have this overwhelming urge to scream "It's about time!" Glad you're getting some. Get at least one for each bedroom and maybe others for near fire sources, garages. I like the plug-in with battery backup, but at least get battery powered, and read the directions about alerts, end-of-live warnings, etc.

I have no argument as you are absolutely correct. I just purchased one and am typing this just after climbing back in the car to head home and install it....the store only had battery powered units....I will check some other stores this weekend and buy a couple more. For us, the battery powered ones may be preferrable as we could always pack and use them when we move back to the US.

I don't think there is competition between O2 and the CO, especially given that CO is said to have 210 times the affinity for hemoglobin than O2 and it has an even stronger affinity for myoglobin.
There's always a competition. Only question is, how stacked is the deck? The ratio of the affinities describe how stacked the deck is.

For O2 vs CO towards hemoglobin, the deck is heavily stacked for CO. But given enough O2, CO will be out-competed. It'll take time, but it will happen.

Built-in hard-wired CO detectors have been required since the 2009 building codes in the US, along with smoke detectors. Many jurisdictions require CO and smoke alarms (not necessarily hard-wired) be installed when homes are remodeled or sold. Consider them a wise investment for now and in the future.

I believe! Building codes are different where I live, Belgium, and I suspect the house we live in is grandfathered in for stuff like this until the house is sold. I know the wiring would need redone to bring it up to current code if the owner sold the house.

-Z

My problem with CO detectors is calibration. Where do you get proper calibration gases? With an O2 detector, we always have access to 21% and often have access to 32%, 36%, 40% or higher. If you're gonna trust a CO detector only a couple years after you bought it, you hafta calibrate it against a gas with a known CO content. Preferably two gases, one below your min limit and one above your min limit. Where do you source those gases?

An uncalibrated sensor is worthless.

My problem with CO detectors is calibration. Where do you get proper calibration gases? With an O2 detector, we always have access to 21% and often have access to 32%, 36%, 40% or higher. If you're gonna trust a CO detector only a couple years after you bought it, you hafta calibrate it against a gas with a known CO content. Preferably two gases, one below your min limit and one above your min limit. Where do you source those gases?

I purchased a CO detector to monitor/detect CO levels in my house due to oil heat/hot water...not an analyzer for dive cylinders.

I haven't studied the mechanisms of consumer CO alarms but I think there is a fundamental difference between an alarm/detector versus an instrument that displays quantity. An alarm only needs to indicate that a certain threshold has been exceeded... by how much is the job of a calibrated instrument. I believe that most CO alarm failure modes default to false positives -- like the nagging low battery mode.

Back
Top Bottom