CO Analyzer - How often do you need to calibrate?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Manatee Diver

Stop throwing lettuce at me!
ScubaBoard Supporter
Reaction score
# of dives
None - Not Certified
Thinking about buying a CO analyzer, namely the Palm CO, how often do you need to calibrate it with a bump gas? I ask because a bump gas and regulator don't appear to be cheap, nor widely available to borrow.

Not sure about the Palm. I have an Oxycheq, and it is suppose to be recalibrated when a new sensor is installed - easier to let them install and calibrate. The sensors are suppose to last 3 to 3.5 years. Seems like my first one was replaced after 5 years and the second one is still OK after 3.5 or so.

Is your goal to use the Palm as a go/no gauge to test the presence of CO or are you worried about knowing the actual ppm?

depends on how frequently you use it, how accurate you need the measurements, and if you store it well with some type of airtight sensor cap in place.

almost all are spec'd to hold a calibration for at least 150 to 200 sensor hours without drifting enough to need recalibration.

Is your goal to use the Palm as a go/no gauge to test the presence of CO or are you worried about knowing the actual ppm?
You really have to get an engineer at the manufacturer on the phone to talk with you about the sensor used to get an idea, but I'm mostly with Saxman there. If any CO shows up on a test, I am not so concerned about how accurate the reading is as I am about how bad the fill station's compressor is running and what else are they allowing to get in my tank. I'll forgive 1 or 2 ppm as that could be operator error on my part, but more than that I start thinking about calling the dive and changing Ops. Calibrating is so skill sensitive that I let the factory people do it when I let them replace the sensor, then try to estimate drift from there.

depends on how frequently you use it...and if you store it well with some type of airtight sensor cap in place.
Do you think those two factors affect CO sensors? Oxygen sensors yes, but I don't think so with CO.

they are still electrochemical sensors. they will drift over time due to exposure and use.

if you store one in a garage or near engine exhaust where they can be exposed to a high CO environment, they will degrade faster.

they are still electrochemical sensors. they will drift over time due to exposure and use.

if you store one in a garage or engine exhaust where they can be exposed to a high CO environment, they will degrade faster.

Stored indoors inside a pelican knock off that also has a O2 analyzer, would that affect the sensor calibration too much?

Also if I got a sensor where I can put on a sensor cap (are they available for the Palm testers?) would I have to take it off at least 24 hours ahead of time like is suggested with O2 sensors?

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom