CO Analysers

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Well, precision is not really a realistic goal itself as you're not going to get all of the air out of the bag before filling, and you're going to suck some ambient air in when you fill. Your real goal is to protect yourself with ballpark readings. I don't bother with calibration every year as the unit software will adjust enough to keep me safe. I do test my current unit and a four year old unit both to see if they actually react to CO when I remote start my car in a closed garage, but that's risky so be sure that you have an easy exit if needed.

The reusable Stasher bag looks like a nice tool. It's a matter of choice I guess. If you get a yellow bag and can read the unit thru it ok, it'll be easier to keep up
I was just wondering if I could use a smaller bag instead of a typical gallon Ziploc bag used by most people. I wasn’t really sure if the size of the bag would matter.

I got a clear bag so I can easily read the unit thru it.

I was just wondering if I could use a smaller bag instead of a typical gallon Ziploc bag used by most people. I wasn’t really sure if the size of the bag would matter.
The next size smaller commonly found would be a quart, and it might suffice. I figured the gallon size would allow for a higher ratio of tank air to the residual air already in the bag therefore somewhat more accurate.

Were you under some impression that I was normal? Yeah, I look like a geek, but don't care. I don't trust businesses to monitor their own air, and if you asked ten restaurants where their CO alarms were, I wonder if you'd find many. On the other hand, I can easily find news stories of people injured by CO.

Those articles always remind me that I'm fortunate to live in an area where gas is extremely rare. Heating heating and cooking are usually electric or solar in my area. Some restaurants do use propane for cooking but we don't have gas infrastructure so they must have a tank on their property.

I do bring CO detectors when I travel, thanks to your constant reminders... :)

Those articles always remind me that I'm fortunate to live in an area where gas is extremely rare. Heating heating and cooking are usually electric or solar in my area.
Yet, Florida still sees CO news stories, from portable generators, water heaters, cars left running in garages, etc. My barber tells me that she knows of two people who tried the car in garage suicide but failed in my tiny farm town of 2,000 as catalytic converters have made that method ineffective, but injuries still happen. I didn't ask who. Her mother died that way, and she's still pissed decades later.
Some restaurants do use propane for cooking but we don't have gas infrastructure so they must have a tank on their property.
500 to 1,000 gallon tanks are common for homes in farm country here.
I do bring CO detectors when I travel, thanks to your constant reminders... :)
Especially important for hotels with pools.

Yet, Florida still sees CO news stories, from portable generators, water heaters, cars left running in garages, etc. My barber tells me that she knows of two people who tried the car in garage suicide but failed in my tiny farm town of 2,000 as catalytic converters have made that method ineffective, but injuries still happen. I didn't ask who. Her mother died that way, and she's still pissed decades later.

500 to 1,000 gallon tanks are common for homes in farm country here.

Especially important for hotels with pools.
What would be around a pool and generate CO out of curiosity?

What would be around a pool and generate CO out of curiosity?
Pool heaters.

Yet, Florida still sees CO news stories, from portable generators, water heaters, cars left running in garages, etc. My barber tells me that she knows of two people who tried the car in garage suicide but failed in my tiny farm town of 2,000 as catalytic converters have made that method ineffective,...
Lawn mowers, small generators & the gas motors that run small scuba compressors don't have cats on them. After major hurricanes, portable generators usually cause trouble for a few newbies who don't know what they are doing.

Would using this pump into a ziplock be a good idea? Inspector Kit (CO) KIT-INS2-CO-01
Well, with that kit you would not need the ziplock, as you could blow tank gas into the unit, except I think that the air pressure would give you false positives. I'd suggest the cheapest Sensorcon and ziplock.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom