Closed ladder with fins on?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Just so some can imagine what it can be like, I had a few dives on boats out of NY where the seas came up and there were two crew on the swim platform waiting to help you. As you came up the ladder one was on each side of you and grabbed your manifold, steadied you, and walked you to the gate, where another crew member was waiting. At the gate, you got turned around so your back was to the boat where you were pulled backward up the deck and out of the way of the next diver. Once up on the deck, a 4th crew member was there to strip you out of your gear – tanks, stages, bags, etc. and get them secured as best they could, we’ll figure it out back at the dock.

At the start of my dive the conditions were rough, but 70 minutes latter the tide had turned and it went from OK to My God, what the hell are we doing out here. There was no taking gear off in the water unless you wanted to loose it.

This was, “Get them on the Fuooking Boat so we can get out of here before someone gets hurt or killed!”

When the conditions go South, the bottom of the ladder is moving up and down, forward and aft, and side to side all at the same time in a concave oval .

I generally don't want help but in those circumstances, the way is the way.

A concave oval. I'll use that.

I have never had to get back on the boat with my fins on but, I also don't just hand them up I want them with me.

If I ever decide to dive NJ (Cold, Seasick, etc....) even though it sounds miserable I'll have to learn to get back on the boat with them.

I prefer not getting back on the boat with my fins on, but I don't have a problem doing so with a ladder which is properly designed for climbing that way. In my opinion, a closed ladder is unsafe with fins and I would be unwilling to dive if either conditions or regulations required that I climb one that way.

.......... In my opinion, a closed ladder is unsafe with fins and I would be unwilling to dive if either conditions or regulations required that I climb one that way.

(back on topic)

Very few closed ladders will be found on dive boats in this area, of those, most captains (not all) will consider the day's conditions and the diver's requests. Around here, the majority of closed ladders are on private boats.

I would have to agree, a closed ladder is no place for fins.

Id also say a closed ladder is for a swimming boat NOT a dive boat.

(back on topic)

Very few closed ladders will be found on dive boats in this area, of those, most captains (not all) will consider the day's conditions and the diver's requests. Around here, the majority of closed ladders are on private boats.

I would have to agree, a closed ladder is no place for fins.

What does "this area" and "around here" mean?

"around here." Location USA. Centre of the Universe.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom