Close call in the dressing room

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

even after reading (and crying) thru this thread... i STILL got caught yesterday!!

after loosing 60lbs i thought i would see if the seatec one peice 5mm semi-dry fits.

i was home from work yesterday, it was a quite day, Dr Phil had finished and i was waiting for Oprah so i thought "'i'll try on my suit!"

put my legs in... all good, it fits, pulled it up over my waist and again, all good it fits and then thought i'll put my arms in and zip myself up

at this point i should have REMINDED MYSELF that even when i was skinner i ALWAYS needed someone to help me get out of my suit but choose to tell myself that Oprah will be on soon and she will help me as im sure she has been in the exact postion once before

there i was, in the lviing room, on the phone calling hubby to say in my husky, am i turning you on voice saying "honey, guess what im wearing?" but although he was excited for me i had called while he was in the middle of a meeting - opps (why do men answer the phone at times like that!)

and then came the moment i had to get out of the suit.... Oprah was no bloody help as that day she chose to talk about the perfect eyebrow. i had visions of having to phone hubby to tell him or come home or worse, go next door to the in-laws and explain that while at home alone i wasnt donig some kinky thing in their son's house

i was rubbing myself against the door frames and refrigerator door with no luck, i tried the dining table corner, then i tried the anti gravity frame and at some point i was on my back on the carpet using my feet to push myself back... all to lever the suit around my shoulder/elbow the slightest bit so i could free myself!

i had worked up a sweat and the urgent need to pee (must be the neoprene) and i was laughing at myself so hard i could barely hold on... i was even thinking i would have to jump in the shower and fill up the suit with water

so what did i learn... carpet burns hurt and wetsuits should have a tag reading "dont try this on your own!"

grrrr - feel like a bloody idiot but im still laughing at the thought of me on my back on the floor looking like a upturned turtle and donig circles!

I got a little deja vu going reading that last post.

Oh, YEAH!

I remember my DH going with me to buy my first wetsuit. I was looking at a semi-dry but since I had a chest strain injury I needed help getting into anything I was considering (I couldn't push, pull, or anything) I remember wanting the suit then because my OW class was going to start in a month.

The sales guy gives us a suit and we head off towards a dressing room with only a curtain pulled across it. Hubby sets about getting my legs into the suit and we're bumping into each other and I'm hopping around. Then...we get to my head and arms. I got stuck somewhere partially into the suit and couldn't be pulled out of it or pushed into it. Whew, it's getting hot! Hubby is muttering under his breath, and is yanking (ow!) a little more forcefully as full panic sets in.

Gradually, we realize that there is a class of OW students milling outside the dressing room listening to the (very) odd sounds coming from within.

"OW!"
"Well, just hold still..."
"grunt..ooof!...wait, that's better!"
"well, if you'd help me..."

I finally got out of the suit. I don't think I will be able to shop there again but that's OK because I decided not to go with a drysuit anyway.

Fuzzmutton

Everytime I read this thread I laugh so hard it brings tears. This has got to be one of the best threads ever!

After laughing my way through this thread it makes me very happy that I paid for the optional wrist and ankle zippers on my wetsuit. This has to be the funniest thread I have ever read! Thanks for the laughs.

Brian

boulderjohn:
So I went into the dressing room to try on a new hooded vest. It had some kind of a slick inner lining that is supposed to cling to your skin. It certainly did. It was a tad tight, and I had a difficult time getting it on.

Getting it off was even harder, I pulled on it with everything I had, and my now heavily perspired skin seemed to make moving it impossible. I managed to get it halfway off, and then I realized two things:
  1. It really wasn't going anywhere.
  2. I couldn't breathe.

The mouth and nose area were surrounded by wet suit. As the hypercapnia breathing reflex swept over me, I managed to pull the hood down and breathe. Once my breathing returned to normal, I gave it another shot. Same result. I thought I was having a near death experience, but the light at the end of the tunnel turned out to be coming through the face hole in the hood.

I managed to pull it back on fully and went out to the floor, where I got help to peel it off.

Questions:

If I had died, would this have been considered a scuba accident?

Should I notify DAN?

Wow, that was close call indeed!

But something does not click:
You were in a dressing room?

All shops around here have open areas to try on
wetsuits for this reason.

You are always in visual contact of a store person while tring it on...

Oh well...

I dont feel to bad now , i've only got my 5mm hooded vest off once by myself.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom