Close call in the dressing room

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I thought I was the only one. Sent this e-mail to a friend last week.

They are very fond of me at the dive shop, apparently I am good for comic relief. They especially enjoyed selling me a 7mil wet suit. Several customers stayed for the show too.

It is black and 7mil is very thick and "toasty warm". It is 2 pieces, a pair of overalls and then a bermuda short length onesie with long sleeves. They sent me into the bathroom to put it on cause they said I would want to sit down after a while. After a while? They also only gave me the overall part cause they said I would want help with the rest. Two pieces, a jumper and a zip up the front one piece, clothes not brain surgery.

I got one leg in and a foot and had to sit down. Then I got it up over my shoulders with one knee pad on my knee and the other one below it and the Velcro of the shoulder strap stuck to my head. I was done, it was about 192 degrees in the thing and I walked with a limp. So I ventured out for help.

They said I was really quick, they didn't expect me so soon. And I had more on than they thought I would. Two customers came in, took one look at me and sat down to watch. Get a life huh and open the dammed door, its hot in here.

Now the onesie. There is a trick to them. I don't know it. I can tell you DONT MAKE A FIST WHEN YOU PUT YOUR ARM IN! they told me your dive buddy always helps you put your suit on and you always help them. I need 3 days notice, 2 dive buddies and the jaws of life.

After I got both pieces on I flapped my arms to make all the air in the suit come out the neck so they could see if it fit or if I needed a smaller size. ******** comedians these guys. They were thinking there was too big an airpocket in the back. The fact that my left boob was squished under my chin and my right boob was squished under my left armpit was OK but not too much airspace in the back or I would get cold. It was 248 degrees in this thing and I was starting to see pretty colors. I told them not to worry, it fit just fine. I was going to take it off.

I waddled over to the bathroom, my knees didn't bend and my legs did not come to within a foot and a half of each other. There was a step up to the bathroom. One snicker from the peanut gallery and I was going to knock them unconscious with my BC.

Once in the bathroom I got one arm out and figured I was going to have to buy the stupid thing just because I couldn't get it off. It is black and it is mine.

After I wear the suit 10 times they are going to put a certificate of achievement on the wall.

I used to use a two piece suit like that. Still have it, in fact. It's in good shape. Anyone interested?

OK this comes with a SPEEDO warning

Surelyshirly:
I thought I was the only one. Sent this e-mail to a friend last week.

They are very fond of me at the dive shop, apparently I am good for comic relief. They especially enjoyed selling me a 7mil wet suit. Several customers stayed for the show too.

It is black and 7mil is very thick and "toasty warm". It is 2 pieces, a pair of overalls and then a bermuda short length onesie with long sleeves. They sent me into the bathroom to put it on cause they said I would want to sit down after a while. After a while? They also only gave me the overall part cause they said I would want help with the rest. Two pieces, a jumper and a zip up the front one piece, clothes not brain surgery.

I got one leg in and a foot and had to sit down. Then I got it up over my shoulders with one knee pad on my knee and the other one below it and the Velcro of the shoulder strap stuck to my head. I was done, it was about 192 degrees in the thing and I walked with a limp. So I ventured out for help.

They said I was really quick, they didn't expect me so soon. And I had more on than they thought I would. Two customers came in, took one look at me and sat down to watch. Get a life huh and open the dammed door, its hot in here.

Now the onesie. There is a trick to them. I don't know it. I can tell you DONT MAKE A FIST WHEN YOU PUT YOUR ARM IN! they told me your dive buddy always helps you put your suit on and you always help them. I need 3 days notice, 2 dive buddies and the jaws of life.

After I got both pieces on I flapped my arms to make all the air in the suit come out the neck so they could see if it fit or if I needed a smaller size. ******** comedians these guys. They were thinking there was too big an airpocket in the back. The fact that my left boob was squished under my chin and my right boob was squished under my left armpit was OK but not too much airspace in the back or I would get cold. It was 248 degrees in this thing and I was starting to see pretty colors. I told them not to worry, it fit just fine. I was going to take it off.

I waddled over to the bathroom, my knees didn't bend and my legs did not come to within a foot and a half of each other. There was a step up to the bathroom. One snicker from the peanut gallery and I was going to knock them unconscious with my BC.

Once in the bathroom I got one arm out and figured I was going to have to buy the stupid thing just because I couldn't get it off. It is black and it is mine.

After I wear the suit 10 times they are going to put a certificate of achievement on the wall.

:rofl2: I have tears in my eyes.

People in the office are wanting to know what's wrong with me!!!! I am trying not to ROFL! This is just too funny!

Oh yea, thank goodness for the knee-pads. If it were not for them I would have never figured out if the zipper went in the front or back, my first choce was wrong and I am glad I did not come out looking like that!

Randy

I wonder if PADI will come up with a "Wetsuit Rescue" course because it seems that many divers are falling victim to those bloody contraptions.

Also, maybe the LDS should have a lifeguard on duty at all times in the event a solo diver goes without a buddy.

Food for thought.

Misplaced Priority:
I was in Key Largo February 2002 and tried on a full 5mm suit. I still have it on! Never have been able to take it off! I will try some of these techniques this weekend!!

You mean you can take wetsuits off? And here was me thinking wetsuit shampoo was something you used in the shower.

Went to the LDS to buy a dry suit. The owner was pretty well known for fitting dry suits. They had several in my size and I bought one. It had a self donning zipper that ran from the left shoulder down to the right hip. Then the dive store owner helped me trim the seals. Then they sent it off to have a couple of pockets installed. It arrived UPS about two weeks later.

A bit later, before I went diving in the thing, a friend (who used to dive) came over and I decided to model the thing for him (and maybe get him to start diving again). So I pulled it out of the bag, put on a set of thermal undies (to make it slide on easier), I didn't need the undies really, it was a warm day.

I stretched it out and stepped in, carefully avoiding the suspenders and then pulled it up. My feet were crammed into the boots. It seemed a bit tight, but what do I know... It had been fitted by an expert.

Then I stuffed my arm down one sleeve, the right one. I noticed that the cuff was really tight. Then I tried to get my arm into the left one -- but because of the cut of the zipper it was difficult, really difficult. But with my friends help I got it on. I was really hot and sweaty now, but I wanted to impress my bud. My right hand was feeling a bit puffy and was turning red. The arms of my long jons were soaking wet.

Then I pulled the neck seal over my head and tried to pull it on, I got stuck. The end of the neck seal would not go over my head -- it stopped at the ears. The bottom was down around my chin. I was being really careful not to tear the neck seal, not to grab the seal with my fingers tips but use my fingers kinda flat. And it wasn’t moving.

Only by reaching through the zipper and up to the neck seal could I get some space to breath. I was getting really hot and breathing hard, when my head popped through the neck seal. Now the thing was choking me, both hands were red and puffy; my heart was beating fast and hard. I though I might have a heart attack or suffocate. Then I saw there were NO pockets on the suit. It wasn't the right suit. I couldn't really pull off the neck seal, I had to use one hand to stretch the seal enough to let me breath.

The arm and neck seals were now sticking to my sweaty skin. I couldn’t get talc anywhere useful as I was too sweaty. My friend was really 'impressed' by this act and the color that I was turning. He tried to help but It wasn't working, I was getting hotter and hotter my hands were redder and puffier.

So I went in to the bathroom and hopped into the shower and ran coolish water into the suit to cool off. Water and shampoo in the neck seal allowed me to get my head out. So I sat down, on the edge of the bathtub in a dry suit with what seemed like 50 lbs of water in the bulging legs, and took a deep breath (the first in several minutes). Then with the help of more shampoo, I got my arms out of the cuffs.

It was easy to step out fo the legs as they were bulging full of water. My friend was concerned, but clearly amused. I dumped my waterlogged underwater into the washer. And collapsed for a good half hour.

I checked the suit, no pockets, and a medium, not an extra large, the seals were not trimmed either.

I called the shop and explained that I had gotten the wrong suit. they agreed and said mine was hanging in the back of the shop, there had been a shipping mistake. I explained what happened, rinsed the suit well and exchanged it for the right one.

The moral of the story is ALWAYS try on new suits, at home after you buy them and before you get to the beach where your dive buddies can see you. And keep a sharp knife and a friend handy.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom